APPLY ONLINE ONLY AT: https://careers-audubon.icims.com/jobs/3978/pensacola-beach-seabird-steward/job
Audubon Florida helps to manage beach-nesting birds through much of the Panhandle, posting, stewarding and protecting nesting areas from disturbance. To better monitor and protect the nesting shorebirds and seabirds along beaches and other nest sites in Pensacola, Audubon is hiring a seasonal Pensacola Beach Steward. The primary responsibility of the Pensacola Beach Steward is to survey nesting beaches, organize volunteers to conduct public outreach at seabird nesting sites, and monitor active sites along the nesting areas of Pensacola Beach.
This is a full-time seasonal position working 40 hours a week between April and September, 2019 for 40 hours per week with a focus on weekend days and holidays, including Memorial Day, Independence Day, and Labor Day.
With the help of the Panhandle Program Manager, the Pensacola Beach Steward will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Contact and recruit volunteers
- Conduct public outreach on nesting beaches
- Assist with training volunteers and organize volunteers for public outreach on nesting beaches
- Survey nesting beaches weekly
- Post nesting sites
- Monitor shorebird nests for nesting progress and disturbance
- Timely data entry and reporting
Qualifications and Experience
- Experience and ability to communicate clearly orally and in writing.
- Ability to organize, support and schedule volunteers.
- Work well independently and with others.
- Must be able to work in full summer sun, walk in sand, and lift 30 lbs.
- A flexible approach to work and be willing to work weekends and holidays.
- Must have a valid driver's license and vehicle.
- Experience with volunteer organization, education, and management preferred.
- Familiarity with Santa Rosa and Escambia County beaches preferred.
- Experience with shorebird identification and nest monitoring preferred.