The Game Bird Program at Tall Timbers Research Station is looking for a local Tallahassee resident to assist an MSc student (Shelby Simons) with northern bobwhite research project focused on movement, habitat use and site fidelity in relation to food availability and cover.
Responsibilities include radio telemetry (i.e., bobwhite tracking), nest searching and daily monitoring of nests and vegetation sampling. There is a possibility of assisting with intensive bouts of telemetry aside from normal radio-tracking. There is also a possibility for assisting in insect sampling. Additional but not consistent duties include small mammal trapping and various other tasks assigned by supervisor
Work hours can be long and schedule may vary, some weekend work will be required. The individual must be comfortable working in adverse conditions (hot, humid and buggy), comfortable with regular heavy lifting (up to ~50lbs), works well both independently and in a team, possesses a positive attitude and willingness to learn.
The internship is proposed as a 16 week commitment, but extensions based on good work ethic are possible.
1) Availability to work the full duration of the position (i.e., 16 weeks out from start date)
2) B.S. in wildlife or related field or working toward a B.S. degree
3) An interest in game bird ecology and management.
4) Previous field research and computer experience is preferred.
5) Individuals need a valid driver's license and have a good driving record.
6) Experience with data entry using Microsoft products (e.g., Access and Excel) is preferred.
7) Experience operating ATV preferred, but not required.
😎 Experience trailer-ing is preferred, but not required.
9) Experience in identification of native plants in Florida is preferred, but not required.
1) Compensation: $230/week ($920/month)
2) Starting Date: 1 May 2019 (Flexible)
3) Last Date to apply: Open until filled
To Apply: Please submit the following material via email:
1) Cover letter (1 page) clearly stating career goals, interest in game birds, earliest and latest dates available to work, and hobbies
2) Detailed resume with a minimum of 3 references (please indicate your relationship to each)
**Electronic submissions/inquires only – please submit applications in a SINGLE PDF document to Shelby Simons at firstname.lastname@example.org Please note in the subject of the email that you are applying to the Bobwhite Internship.