APPLY ONLINE AT:
Audubon Florida helps to manage beach-nesting birds through much of the Panhandle by posting, stewarding and protecting nesting areas from disturbance. To better monitor and protect the nesting shorebirds and seabirds along beaches and other nest sites on Navarre Beach, Audubon is hiring a seasonal Navarre Beach Seabird Steward. The primary responsibility of the Navarre Beach Seabird Steward is to organize volunteers in order to monitor shorebird nesting, conduct public outreach and survey nest sites along the nesting areas of Santa Rosa County including Navarre Causeway, Navarre Beach Marine Park and sites along Highway 399.
This is a part-time seasonal position working 27 hours a week from April – August, with a focus on weekend days and holidays, including Memorial Day, Independence Day, and Labor Day.
Compensation: $15.00 / hour
With the help of the Western Panhandle Program Manager, the Navarre Beach Steward will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Monitor nesting birds and conduct minimum weekly counts of nests, chicks, and fledged young of each nesting species.
- Conduct public outreach at nesting beaches on weekends and holidays, to target maximum number of beachgoers and prevent nest disturbance.
- Assist with recruitment of volunteers; train and schedule volunteers to chaperone nesting birds and conduct public outreach at nesting sites on weekends and holidays.
- Install symbolic fencing and posting around nesting areas.
- Report and enter data in a timely manner as instructed by supervisor.
- Communicate any disturbance, changes, or issues at seabird nesting sites.
Qualifications and Experience
- Experience and ability to communicate clearly orally and in writing.
- Ability to organize, support and schedule volunteers.
- Work well independently and with others.
- Must be able to work in full summer sun, walk in sand, and lift 30 lbs.
- A flexible approach to work and be willing to work some weekends and holidays.
- Must have a valid driver's license and vehicle.
- Experience with volunteer organization, education, and management a plus.
- Familiarity with Santa Rosa beaches preferred.
- Experience with shorebird identification and nest monitoring preferred.
The National Audubon Society is a federal contractor and an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status. We are committed to a policy of nondiscrimination, inclusion and equal opportunity and actively seek a diverse pool of candidates in this search.
The National Audubon Society endeavors to keep our careers site accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact Accommodations@audubon.org. This contact information is for accommodation requests only and cannot be used to inquire about the status of applications.
All new hires must be fully vaccinated prior to their start of employment unless they are pre-qualified by HR for exemption.
There are no comments to display.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.