APPLY ONLINE ONLY AT: https://careers-audubon.icims.com/jobs/4340/nassau-sound-anchor-steward/job
Audubon Florida supports management of beach-nesting birds at many locations in Northeast Florida by surveying, posting, stewarding, and protecting nesting areas from disturbance. To better protect nesting shorebirds Audubon is hiring a seasonal Anchor Steward to work at the beaches of Nassau Sound including Amelia Island and Little Talbot Island.
The primary responsibilities of the Anchor Steward are to steward shorebird nesting areas and organize volunteer stewards to help these efforts. Stewarding involves a variety of actions including observations of birds and the public at nesting sites and educating the public when their actions may pose a threat to the birds.
This is a part-time, 20-hour-per-week seasonal position focused on weekends and holidays, including Memorial Day and Independence Day. The position will begin 04/06/2020 and continue through the end of nesting season. Nesting may persist into August or early September but can end early in the event of a catastrophic event or other total loss of nesting activity. Hours are generally between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. though may vary depending on needs. 40 hours allowed on weeks with holidays.
- Assist with the installation of symbolic fencing around new nest areas as needed.
- Steward at nesting sites mainly on weekends and holidays.
- Assist with recruiting, training, and scheduling of shorebird steward volunteers.
- Work closely with local land managers, external partners, and volunteers in a positive and professional manner at all times.
Qualifications and Experience
- Ability to operate an ATV/UTV to reach some beach nesting sites. Training will be provided by Florida Park Service staff.
- Ability to interact and communicate effectively with the public at beach nesting sites.
- Ability to help recruit, train, support, and schedule volunteers.
- Work well independently and with other staff and volunteers.
- A positive and diplomatic attitude is a must.
- Demonstrated capability of physically active work, such as walking on sandy beaches, carrying field equipment during Florida summer field conditions.
- Ability to lift 30 lbs with or without a reasonable accommodation.
- Must have a valid driver's license and a personal vehicle suited for transportation to complete assigned tasks.
- Must be willing to work weekends and holidays.
- Familiarity with local beaches preferred.
- Previous experience with shorebird stewardship preferred, but similar experience will be considered.
- Interest in conservation and passion for the mission of the National Audubon Society a must.
Edited by aruhl