Job Classification: Seasonal full time August 25 – November 30, 2021
Job Description: HAWK MIGRATION COUNTER (1) needed for fall hawk watch in Montclair, New Jersey with New Jersey Audubon’s Cape May Bird Observatory. Located atop First Watchung Mountain in northern New Jersey, the Montclair Hawk Lookout is the second oldest hawk watch in North America and one of only a handful that operate both a spring and fall count. Our long-term monitoring sites help NJ Audubon keep its finger on the pulse of migration and contribute to conservation and education. NJ Audubon fosters the application of sound scientific principles and practices to address conservation issues related to all fauna and the natural habitats with which they are associated.
· Accurately identify and count all eastern raptors. Applicants should explore our website to see typical species for the count: https://njaudubon.org/watches/
· Maintain daily data entry using our digital platform (equipment provided) and follow backup data procedures as needed.
· Educate visitors about raptor migration, New Jersey Audubon, and conservation issues.
· Keep appropriate records for rare sightings.
· Write summary blogs for the CMBO website at least weekly.
· Some data entry in MS Excel is possible.
· Provide a detailed summary report for NJ Audubon publications in a timely manner after the count ends.
Qualifications, Knowledge, and Skills:
Familiarity with bird migration and strong background identifying raptors in flight a must.
Knowledge of current environmental and conservation issues.
Careful data collecting and punctuality a must.
Willingness to work irregular hours under sometimes difficult field conditions while maintaining a positive attitude.
Strong organizational and time managements skills.
Excellent written and oral communication skills.
Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills with the ability to relate to and motivate a diverse range of people, exercise cultural competence and inclusion, and accept direction and constructive feedback.
Motivated self-starter able to work alone and in a team setting.
Must be able to walk on uneven surfaces and climb steep steps.
Ability to lift and carry 25 lbs.
All applicants must have their own vehicle and a valid, clean driver’s license.
Start Date: August 25, 2021
End Date: November 30, 2021
Salary: $13.25/hour. Housing may be available.
Application Deadline: July 2, 2021.
Interested individuals should email their cover letter, resume, and three references as a single PDF document to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please write “Montclair” in the subject line so that your application is directed to the correct person.
We are committed to building a diverse team and strongly encourage all qualified professionals to apply. The New Jersey Audubon Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, age, national origin, ethnic background, disability or any other characteristic protected by law.