Job Classification: Seasonal, Full time (40 hrs./week) March 16 – May 15, 2021
Job Description: Hawk Counter Spring Migration - Seasonal biologist/ornithologist needed to
conduct survey of migrating birds of prey in Montclair, NJ. NJ Audubon fosters the application of sound scientific principles and practices to address conservation issues related to vertebrate and invertebrate fauna, and the natural habitats with which they are associated.
Responsibilities: Duties include identifying and recording migrating birds of prey, entering data into the Hawk Migration Association of North America database, and interacting with the public.
· Identify and count all migrating raptors.
· Maintain daily data entry in digital platform and follow backup data procedures as needed.
· Keep appropriate records for rare sightings.
· Provide daily summaries for post on various NJ Audubon/Cape May Bird Observatory outlets.
· Some data entry in MS Excel possible.
· Educate visitors about raptor migration, NJ Audubon, and conservation issues.
· Provide end of season summary report for NJ Audubon publications in timely manner.
Qualifications, Knowledge and Skills:
· Familiarity with bird migration and strong background identifying raptors in flight a must.
· Careful data collecting skills a must.
· Willingness to work irregular hours under sometimes difficult field conditions.
· Applicants should have experience interacting with the public.
· Punctual with excellent organizational, time and project management skills with the ability to manage multiple projects, shifting priorities and meet deadlines.
· Strong computer skills – Microsoft Office to fulfill the job requirements.
· Excellent written and oral communication skills, and knowledge of environmental and conservation issues desired.
· Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills with the ability to relate to and motivate a diverse range of people, exercise cultural competence and inclusion, and accept direction and constructive feedback.
· Motivated self-starter with capacity to work productively in a team setting with the ability to demonstrate initiative and a positive attitude.
· Strong professionalism and work ethic with the ability to exercise discretion and maintain confidentiality.
· Flexibility to adjust hours to meet the special needs of the program and organization.
· Must be able to walk on uneven surfaces, climb multiple steep steps and lift 25 lbs. as necessary.
· All applicants must have their own transportation, and a valid, clean driver’s license.
Start Date: March 16, 2021
End Date: May 15, 2021
Salary: $13.25/hour. Housing may be available.
Application Deadline: January 20, 2021
Qualified individuals may apply by emailing cover letter of interest, resume, and three references as a single PDF document to email@example.com
Please indicate “Montclair” in the subject line so that your application is directed to the appropriate department.
We are committed to building a diverse team and strongly encourage all qualified professionals to apply. The New Jersey Audubon Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, age, national origin, ethnic background, disability or any other characteristic protected by law.