Fall Hawk Migration Counter (Seasonal biologist/ornithologist) needed to
conduct survey of migrating birds of prey in Montclair, NJ.
Seasonal fulltime: August 25 to November 30, 2019
NJ Audubon fosters the application of sound scientific principles and practices to address conservation issues related to vertebrate and invertebrate fauna, and the natural habitats with which they are associated.
· Identify and count all migrating raptors.
· Maintain daily data entry into a digital platform and follow backup data procedures as needed.
· Keep appropriate records for rare sightings.
· Provide daily summaries for post on various NJ Audubon/Cape May Bird Observatory outlets.
· Some data entry in MS Excel possible.
· Educate visitors about raptor migration, New Jersey Audubon, and conservation issues.
· Provide end of season summary report for NJ Audubon publications in timely manner.
Qualifications, Knowledge, and Skills:
· Familiarity with bird migration and strong background identifying raptors in flight a must.
· Careful data collecting skills a must.
· Willingness to work irregular hours under sometimes difficult field conditions.
· Punctual with excellent organizational, time and project management skills with the ability to manage multiple projects, shifting priorities and meet deadlines.
· Strong computer skills – Microsoft Office to fulfill the job requirements.
· Excellent written and oral communication skills, and knowledge of environmental and conservation issues required.
· Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills with the ability to relate to and motivate a diverse range of people, exercise cultural competence and inclusion, and accept direction and constructive feedback.
· Motivated self-starter with capacity to work productively in a team setting with the ability to demonstrate initiative and a positive attitude.
· Strong professionalism and work ethic with the ability to exercise discretion and maintain confidentiality.
· Ability to lift 25 lbs. as necessary.
· All applicants must have their own vehicle, and a valid, clean driver’s license.
Start Date: August 25, 2019
End Date: November 30, 2019
Salary: $1500 - $1900/month, commensurate with experience. Housing available.
Application Deadline: June 25, 2019
Qualified individuals may apply by emailing cover letter of interest, resume, and three references as a single PDF document (including email and phone contact info) to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please indicate “Montclair” in the subject line so that your application is directed to the appropriate department.
We are committed to building a diverse team and strongly encourage all qualified professionals to apply. The New Jersey Audubon Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, age, national origin, ethnic background, disability or any other characteristic protected by law.