The Avian Conservation Center is seeking an experienced migration counter for our annual South Carolina Coastal Raptor Migration Survey. The survey is conducted on the Santee Cooper Observation Platform located on the campus of The Center for Birds of Prey near Charleston, SC. This 152-acre facility is surrounded by the Cape Romain National Wildlife Refuge and the Francis Marion National Forest, which gives the opportunity to see a variety of raptors and other migrating coastal bird species.
For more than 20 years the Avian Conservation Center has conducted an annual raptor migration survey, which has now expanded to include the novel and cutting-edge use of modified marine radar to detect migrating raptors. The Center is currently the only known site in North America to routinely use radar to assist in an annual raptor migration survey.
Seasonal Fulltime: September 1st to November 30th
· Identify and count all migrating raptors.
· Maintain hourly and daily data records.
· Record hourly weather data.
· Enter daily count into HawkCount database of the Hawk Migration Association of North America (HMANA).
· Provide daily summaries for online and social media posts.
· Educate visitors about raptor migration.
· Work in collaboration with survey volunteers both skilled and unskilled.
· Provide end of season summary report.
· Assist with the application of Marine radar observations.
Qualifications, Knowledge, and Skills:
· Ability to identify Eastern raptors in flight and from a distance.
· Must be detail oriented and have careful data collecting skills.
· Punctual, with excellent organizational, time and project management skills.
· Excellent written and oral communication skills, and basic knowledge of environmental and avian conservation issues.
· Enthusiastic, motivated and a strong team player.
· Experience interacting with the public as well as excellent interpersonal and leadership skills.
· Willingness to work irregular hours under sometimes difficult field conditions (heat, rain, humidity and sun).
· Physical ability to lift minimum of 25 lbs. as necessary.
· All applicants must have their own vehicle and a valid driver’s license.
· Available to work full-time from September 1st-November 30th.
Start Date: September 1, 2019
End Date: November 30, 2019
Salary: $1500 - $1900/month, commensurate with experience. Housing available.
Application Deadline: July 15, 2019
Please submit resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.