MIGRATION COUNT COORDINATOR - SPRINGWATCH (March 1 to May 31, 2022) for spring migration monitoring projects at New Jersey Audubon’s Cape May Bird Observatory in Cape May, NJ. Cape May is one of the premier migration hot spots in the country. Along with coordinating the migration project known as Springwatch, the coordinator will also provide day-off relief and enter data. NJA fosters the application of sound scientific principles and practices to address conservation issues related to vertebrate and invertebrate fauna, and the natural habitats with which they are associated.
· Identify and count all migrating raptors, seabirds, or songbirds on relief days, and fill in for primary counters as time allows for sickness, personal emergency, etc.
· Inventory and maintain all gear necessary for migration counters throughout the season.
· Provide appropriate training for migration counters as necessary both on- and off-site.
· Act as liaison to Trektellen regarding online platform and supervise data uploading.
· Oversee the data entry and proofing of data at conclusion of season.
· Oversee the creation of regular summaries, highlights and notable bird sightings for posting on web.
· Work with seasonal counters to create a season summary report for NJ Audubon publications in a timely manner.
· Availability via cell phone for troubleshooting and in person when not otherwise counting.
· Provide at least 1 lecture and/or field workshop at Cape May Spring Festival.
Qualifications/ Knowledge/ Skills:
· Familiarity with bird migration and strong background identifying raptors, seabirds, and songbirds in flight.
· Careful data collecting skills a must.
· Strong computer skills – Microsoft Office 365, social media – to fulfill the job requirements.
· Excellent written and oral communication skills.
· Punctual with excellent organizational, time and project management skills with the ability to manage multiple projects, shifting priorities, and meet deadlines.
· Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills with the ability to relate to and motivate a diverse range of people, exercise cultural competence and inclusion, and accept direction and constructive feedback.
· Motivated self-starter able to work independently in the execution of their responsibilities while collaborating with other staff and organizations with the ability to demonstrate initiative and a positive attitude.
· Strong professionalism and work ethic with the ability to exercise discretion and maintain confidentiality.
· Flexibility to adjust hours to meet deadlines and needs of the department and organization, including availability to work occasional evenings and weekends.
· Must have own transportation, a valid driver’s license, and the ability to operate a motor vehicle in NJ.
· Must have the physical capacity to walk over uneven terrain for long distances, able to move materials, and to lift 25 lbs.
· Willingness to work irregular hours under sometimes difficult field conditions.
Start Date: March 1, 2022
End Date: May 31, 2022
Salary: $15.50/hour. Housing may be available.
Application Deadline: January 24, 2022
Interested individuals should email their cover letter, resume, and three references as a single PDF document to email@example.com
Please write “Migration Count Coordinator” in the subject line so that your application is directed to the correct person.
We are committed to building a diverse team and strongly encourage all qualified individuals to apply. The New Jersey Audubon Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, age, national origin, ethnic background, disability or any other characteristic protected by law.