About This Position
Mass Audubon is seeking to fill seasonal Field Assistant positions to conduct research, monitoring, management, and protection of coastal birds and other natural resources. For more information, visit www.massaudubon.org/cwp. Full-time and part-time positions are available from April to mid-August, and may extend through September at one site.
Multiple positions based at:
- Long Pasture Wildlife Sanctuary, Barnstable MA (covering field sites in Nantucket, Cape Cod, Boston, Wareham, and the North Shore)
- Allens Pond Wildlife Sanctuary, Dartmouth MA (covering field sites Westport to Dartmouth)
- Wellfleet Bay Wildlife Sanctuary, Wellfleet MA (covering field sites Truro to Chatham)
- Felix Neck Wildlife Sanctuary, Edgartown MA (covering field sites on Martha’s Vineyard)
- Lost Farm Wildlife Sanctuary, Nantucket, MA (covering field sites on Nantucket)
- South Shore Sanctuaries, Marshfield MA (covering field sites from Plymouth to Hull)
- South Beach, Chatham (*note this position requires living in a remote camp setting on a barrier beach)
Duties & Responsibilities
- Collect biological data on nesting, foraging and migrating species of coastal waterbirds including abundance and distribution of target species;
- Accomplish the wildlife management, protection, and education objectives of the Coastal Waterbird Program;
- Assist with sanctuary-based Coastal Waterbird Program staff throughout the region;
- Assist in management of databases including abundance, productivity and behavioral data;
- Create GIS/Google Earth maps of coastal resources;
- Assist in compilation of data for state plover, tern, and oystercatcher census forms and write summary reports for specific sites on results and management activities;
- Conduct research on special projects as directed;
- Other tasks as directed.
At Mass Audubon, our highest priority is finding the best candidate for the job. Research has shown that people of color and women are less likely to apply for jobs if they don’t believe they meet every one of the qualifications described in a job description. We encourage you to apply, even if you don't believe you meet every one of our described qualifications or you have a less traditional background. We are looking for applicants with the following qualifications:
- Applicants should have a B.S. or B.A. or higher in wildlife biology/management, ecology, zoology, environmental science, or related field, as well as 3 months previous field experience;
- Prior experience in avian or wildlife field research and management strongly preferred;
- Applicants should have demonstrated experience utilizing judgment in field-based wildlife research or management projects and have a strong attention to detail;
- Experience in behavioral data collection, band-reading, wildlife tracking, coastal wildlife management issues, and GIS mapping preferred;
- Applicants must have strong interpersonal skills;
- Must be able to work long hours outside in all weather conditions and be able to lift and carry up to 40lbs across varied and sandy terrain;
- Must be willing to work weekends, holidays, and irregular hours (dependent upon wildlife and weather);
- Must have access to a vehicle for daily driving between sites;
- Must have access to means of communication by phone, text, virtual meeting and email.
Nice to Have’s:
- Kayaking experience preferred;
- Small boat-handling experience preferred.
Compensation & Benefits
- Rate of payment is $14.25-$14.75 depending on experience, with some exceptions where payment will be higher to cover the cost of living on Nantucket and Martha’s Vineyard. Field travel reimbursement will be provided.
- This is not a benefits eligible position.
The schedule from April-August will typically include some of both weekend days and one or two weekdays off.
From April-August, the hours are typically 7 hrs/day with some early mornings and later shifts depending on field season needs.
Holidays, including Memorial Day and Fourth of July are required for all CWP staff.
Employees must successfully complete a CORI and SORI Background Check and a Motor Vehicle Record (if applicable) is required.
Mass Audubon requires that all staff, regardless of their work location, disclose their vaccination status. Proof of vaccination status will be required immediately upon hire.
How To Apply
Please send a resume, cover letter, and three references to email@example.com. Interviews will begin immediately. Please label your materials with your first and last name. In addition to submitting your resume, cover letter and references, please complete a short cover page questionnaire at https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/SN5ZBR5. Your application will not be processed without completion/receipt of the items above. Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible, as interviews begin in January.