Turnstone is a small, locally-owned environmental consulting firm. We help our clients protect and manage shared natural resources with solutions that are practical, forward thinking, and built on a foundation of good science. We are passionate, motivated, and team-oriented professionals who all started as seasonal field technicians ourselves and now strive to be leaders in the wildlife field. Turnstone is currently hiring multiple field biologists and field crew leaders to conduct surveys for the marbled murrelet, a threatened species of seabird that nests primarily in coastal old growth forests. These positions are considered full-time seasonal. Surveys will be on federal, state and private lands in Oregon. Marbled murrelet surveys follow an exacting protocol, and surveyors will be required to work independently during pre-dawn hours in remote areas. The work involves extensive travel, hiking off-trail in the dark (occasionally long distances), navigating forest terrain, and enduring regular periods of inclement weather.
Surveyors will be stationed in one of several communities in western Oregon, to include Astoria, Corvallis, Forest Grove, Nehalem, Tillamook, or Coquille areas (see additional details on Coquille below). Positions begin mid-April and run through August 5, with the possibility of extension and/or earlier start depending on project needs. Training and surveyor certification will be held in Northern California prior to the start of surveys. Opportunities to work on other projects after the end of the murrelet season may be available for the excellent employee. Salary is $2350-3200/month ($13.50 – 18.50/hr), depending on experience and position. Free field housing is provided for the duration of work in most areas, depending on the project, with the potential for occasional camping. A company-owned work vehicle will be provided; surveyors that use a personal vehicle for project activities will be reimbursed via a monthly stipend of $750.
Coquille Position(s): One or more positions will be located in southern Oregon, in or around the Coquille area. These positions require especially frequent strenuous physical activity, including extensive backcountry hiking in steep and brushy terrain and regular backcountry camping. Ideal candidates for these positions will be extremely comfortable working in the woods on their own and have a high level of physical fitness. Due to the nature of these positions, salaries will range from $2550-$3250, depending on experience.
Applicants should have a completed B.S. degree in wildlife biology or a closely-related field. A minimum of one year of field experience is strongly preferred. Marbled murrelet experience is not required if the applicant has strong field skills, basic bird identification skills, and an interest in avian biology. A portion of the daily work is pre-dawn and can be physically and mentally demanding. An ideal candidate will possess all of the following characteristics:
- A consistent track record of working in a safe and efficient manner.
- Excellent field skills: orienteering, GPS, map-reading skills.
- Avid hikers with an ability to tackle the rigors of field work who are comfortable hiking alone in off-trail terrain in the dark and/or inclement weather.
- Working knowledge of western bird identification by sight and sound.
- The ability and willingness to spend long hours in the field and work odd hours, including early morning.
- Integrity, quality, and accuracy in adhering to scientific protocols.
- The ability to record accurate, legible and reliable field data.
- Flexible, detail-oriented, resourceful, and comfortable working independently or as part of a team.
- A valid driver’s license and the ability to navigate forest roads and operate a 4WD vehicle.
- Applicants must have normal vision and hearing, with required proof (hearing screen results) to be submitted prior to the start of work.
To apply, please complete an application through the employment section of our website. EMAILED APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED. These positions will remain open until filled, but application review and hiring is underway.