Description: We are seeking a seasonal field technician for a project using Motus to study the prevalence of lake crossing behavior of migratory songbirds. Field work will consist of passive and targeted mist-netting, banding, and tagging of spring migrants including White-throated Sparrows, Swainson’s Thrush, Magnolia Warbler, Tennessee Warbler, Yellow-rumped Warbler, and Lincoln’s Sparrow. Technician may also be asked to help with clearing net lanes, data entry, and assistance with Motus tower maintenance. Field work will take place across Ohio but will be mainly focused in eastern Ohio. Position requires a large amount of travel to various field sites and time spent in field housing or camping near banding locations.
SUMMARY OF DUTIES:
- 80%- Field work focusing on mist netting, banding, and tagging targeted songbird species
- 10%- Motus Site maintenance, construction, or repair (Time spent will be variable and on an “as needed" basis)
- 10%- Additional tasks including data entry, mist net repair, and clearing net lanes
- Extensive bird banding experience including net placement and set-up, extraction, bird handling, and collecting morphological measurements
- Flexibility for adapting to changing conditions and schedules
- Willingness to work early mornings, long days, and weekends
- Comfortable working outdoors in varying weather including cold or wet conditions
- Ability to carry and lift heavy objects (~25lbs)
- Ability to identify North American songbirds by sight and sound
- Ability to drive a state vehicle
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Experience with attachment of nanotags on small songbirds using leg-loop harnesses
- Experience using a handheld receiver to track tagged wildlife
- Experience with installation or maintenance of Motus stations
Work Week: Variable hours and days including long days, overnights, and weekends
Dates: ~ April 10th, 2023 – May 31st, 2023. Start date can be flexible for competitive applicants.
Pay and Housing:
Project is based out of Columbus, OH. Technician will be required to provide their own housing. Periodic short-term field housing and travel expenses will be funded through the project.
Approximate Pay: $2,300 per month
Application Deadline: January 31st, 2023
Please email cover letter with availability (start and end dates), CV, and contact information for three references (name, phone number, and email address) to Zoe Korpi at Korpi.email@example.com by the application deadline. Please send all materials as one pdf with the subject line “Lake Crossing Field Technician 2022”.