Ornithology Exchange
  • Sign in to follow this  

Internship students

William Jones
    • Employer: University of Debrecen
      Last Date to Apply: No value
      Open Until Filled: Yes

I am looking for up to 2 internship students, at either the BSc or MSc level, to work with me on my project on mating systems biology and ecology in Plovers in Madagascar. Since 2002, the breeding systems of three species (Madagascan Plover, White-fronted Plover, Kittlitz’s Plover) have been studied intensively across Madagascar.

The positions will span a period of up to 6 months, with some flexibility in the time period. Ideally, the students will be based in Debrecen, however, given current global circumstances, I am also happy to consider working remotely. If students do come to Hungary, the project will cover some of their living costs. For highly motivated students and/or those with the appropriate experience, I am willing to consider the possibility of extending their projects and covering the costs for them to visit and work at our field site in SW Madagascar in spring 2021. This project is in collaboration with Tamás Székely (University of Bath; University of Debrecen) and Sama Zefania (University of Toliara).

I would particularly welcome students who have their own ideas and questions that they would like to explore and develop using the Plover system. Potential topics include habitat choice, mating system evolution, nesting success, incubation behaviours and dispersal. This is an excellent opportunity for students to learn how to manage and drive an independent project.

Debrecen is the second largest city in Hungary and has a lively university community. The University of Debrecen was established in 1538, and it is one of the prestigious universities in Central Europe. The university has over 4000 students – many are from abroad. The Dept. of Evolutionary Zoology and Human Biology is one of the leading departments in natural sciences. Debrecen Airport has connections with some of the main European airports. Debrecen’s surrounding has impressive wildlife and landscape that include Hortobagy National Park, a UNESCO-recognised protected area.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to get in touch.

Email: wjonesdebrecen”at”gmail.com

Twitter: @jacanajones

Video of the Madagascar field site: https://youtu.be/fOMDSNK38eY

Sign in to follow this  

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

There are no comments to display.