Job Description: The Grassland Bird Survey Field Technician will be responsible for conducting point counts in managed grassland habitats at the Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst. Target species include Grasshopper Sparrow, Eastern Meadowlark, and Upland Sandpiper. Technicians will be responsible for recording detailed observations and data in the field, data entry, and other duties as necessary. The position requires working independently in the field, walking long distances over potentially rough terrain, carrying equipment, and tolerating exposure to variable and sometimes adverse weather and environmental conditions.
· Point count surveys for grassland bird species, using distance sampling methodologies
· Recording detailed observations and data in the field
· Data entry and management
Knowledge and Skills
· Experience identifying birds of the eastern U.S. by sight and sound
· General knowledge of vegetation and habitats of New Jersey
· Attention to detail, ability to follow detailed protocols and collecting data
· Ability and willingness to interact, coordinate and work well with partners
· Proficiency with GPS and range finders preferred
· Proficiency with MS Office, including Excel or Access, required; experience with GIS preferred
· Excellent interpersonal skills including the ability to accept direction and constructive feedback.
· Motivated self-starter with capacity to work in a team setting.
· Strong professionalism and work ethic.
· Excellent oral and written skills required.
· Ability to demonstrate initiative and a positive attitude.
· Ability to relate to a diverse range of people and exercise cultural competence and inclusion.
· Bachelor’s degree in wildlife biology, ecology, environmental science or equivalent experience preferred.
· Flexibility to adjust hours to meet the special needs of the program and organization.
· Must be able to work weekends.
· Must be able to work independently and as part of a team.
· Must have own vehicle, and a valid and clean driver’s license.
· Must be able to move materials and lift 25 lbs. as needed.
· Must be able to walk long distances in uneven terrain, sometimes in inclement weather.
Starting Date: Approximately May 5, 2019 End Date: July 28, 2019
Salary: $1040-$1200/bi-weekly pay period, depending on experience. Housing available if needed. Mileage reimbursement will be provided.
Please send cover letter of interest, resume, and three references as a single PDF document (including email and phone contact info) to firstname.lastname@example.org
Edited by Nellie Tsipoura