Duration: May 15-June 30
Job Type: Temporary Position
Application Deadline: Until Filled
Salary: Monthly salary $2000 with field housing included
Point count technicians needed for grassland bird and quail population monitoring as part of a coordinated bird monitoring effort to assess the impacts of grassland management in the Oaks and Prairies region of Texas. NOTE: FILLING OF POSITIONS IS CONTINGENT UPON CONTRACT AWARD.
- Early-morning, road-side point counts to survey bird communities in grasslands; afternoon vegetation surveys; and data entry.
- Other responsibilities may include (but are not limited to) equipment maintenance, managing databases, proofing entered data, etc.
Candidates will be expected to work long hours with early starts in relatively difficult field conditions (e.g., high temperature, plenty of sun).
- Housing will be provided and may include hotels, bunkhouses, and other forms of field housing. As such, candidates should be flexible about housing and sharing rooms with other technicians.
- Preference will be shown for individuals that are willing to drive a personal vehicle to and from field sites.
- Mileage will be reimbursed.
- Personal vehicles should be in good condition and able to handle dirt/gravel roads.
*Note that road conditions may be difficult in some areas depending on weather.
This is an opportunity to be part of a large-scale grassland bird conservation effort involving partner conservation agencies and organizations in Texas and Oklahoma.
- Experience conducting avian point counts
- Experience with identification of Texas birds, especially grassland birds
- Estimating distances to detected birds
- Excellent navigational abilities
- Meticulous data collection skills
- Ability to work independently
- Good inter-personal skills
- Valid driver’s license
- Must be 18 years old or older and a US citizen
Please send electronic copies (PDF) of the following in one document:
- A letter of interest
- Names and contact information for three work references.