Location: South Texas
Duration: May 19 – June 19 (exact start date flexible)
Job Type: Temporary Position
Salary: Monthly Salary of $3,200 + housing and mileage while in the field
Application Deadline: Until Filled
The Rio Grande Joint Venture is hiring a point count technician for grassland bird and quail population monitoring. This is part of a coordinated bird monitoring effort to assess the impacts of grassland management in grassland-dominated regions of the South Texas Plains ecoregion. Point counts will be performed on private lands as part of an effort to assess the effectiveness of land management practices. This is an opportunity to be part of a large-scale grassland bird conservation effort involving partner conservation agencies and organizations in Texas.
· Early-morning point counts on private lands to survey bird communities (will require hiking and coordination with landowners and biologists for access).
· Data entry and proofing.
· Other responsibilities may include (but are not limited to) equipment maintenance, managing databases, etc.
Candidates will be expected to work long hours, independently, with early starts in relatively difficult field conditions (e.g., high temperatures, exposure to the elements, intense hiking, active cattle pastures, venomous snakes, cactus, chiggers, ticks, etc.).
· Housing, while in the field, will be arranged and may include trailers, camping, and possibly bunkhouses, hotels, and other forms of field housing. As such, candidates should be flexible about housing, are expected to adhere to current health advisories, and to be respectful of those around them.
· The technician will regularly interact with Rio Grande Joint Venture partner organizations/agencies and landowners. As such, the technician must have excellent interpersonal skills, will be expected to represent the RGJV, and may be required to professionally interact with landowners in person or over the phone.
· The technician will be required to drive a personal vehicle to and from field sites.
o Mileage will be reimbursed for personal vehicles driven for work purposes during the field season.
o Personal vehicles should be in good condition and able to handle dirt/gravel roads. 4-wheel drive vehicles are highly recommended, as some roads are not navigable in other vehicles.
*Note that road conditions may be difficult in some areas depending on weather.
· Work schedules are highly dependent upon weather conditions, as well as access to properties, and it is subject to change throughout the field season. The technician will generally work 1-2 weeks on followed by several days off.
*This is a pilot field season in its second year, so flexibility and patience will be an asset.
· Experience conducting avian point counts
· Experience with identification of Texas birds, especially grassland birds
· Experience estimating distances to detected birds
· Excellent navigational abilities
· Meticulous data collection skills
· Ability to work independently
· Excellent inter-personal skills
· Valid driver’s license
· Must be ≥ 18 years’ old
· Authorized to work in the US, or Permanent Resident
· Willing to undergo a background check
· Willing to gain basic Red Cross CPR/First Aid Training (ABC to cover the course attendance fees)
Applicants must apply online at Bamboo HR
Please send electronic copies (PDF) of the following in ONE document:
1) A letter of interest
3) Names and contact information for three work references
*Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the positions are filled.
If you experience technical difficulty with Bamboo, please send your cover letter and resume as one document to HR@abcbirds.org.
At American Bird Conservancy, we believe that a diversity of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills makes us more effective. We are committed to creating a respectful and inclusive work environment for all of our employees.
As an equal opportunity employer, ABC is committed to ensuring that employees and applicants for employment have equal opportunities regardless of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or any other factor unrelated to the requirements of the position.
There are no comments to display.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.