Duration: May 10 - July 9
Job Type: Temporary Position
Salary: Monthly salary $2,600 + housing
Application Deadline: Until Filled
Crew leader needed for grassland bird and quail population monitoring as part of a coordinated bird monitoring effort to assess the impacts of grassland management in the Oaks and Prairies region of Texas. This is an opportunity to be part of a large-scale grassland bird conservation effort involving partner conservation agencies and organizations in Texas and Oklahoma. Point count surveys are conducted along roadside routes within 20+ counties. Job responsibilities may be concurrent. Therefore, time management skills and ability to supervise quality data collection are imperative. NOTE: FILLING OF POSITIONS IS CONTINGENT UPON CONTRACT AWARD.
- Early-morning, road-side point counts to survey bird communities in grasslands; potential afternoon vegetation surveys; and data entry.
- Field supervision of 2-3 technicians, training, and survey scheduling with support from Oaks and Prairies Joint Venture Staff.
- Other responsibilities may include (but are not limited to) equipment maintenance, managing databases, proofing entered data, etc.
Candidates will be expected to work long hours with early starts in relatively difficult field conditions (e.g., high temperature, plenty of sun).
Housing will be arranged and may include trailers, camping, and possibly bunkhouses, hotels, and other forms of field housing. As such, candidates should be flexible about housing. Candidates will be expected to adhere to health advisories.
Preference will be shown for individuals that are willing to drive a personal vehicle to and from field sites.
- Mileage will be reimbursed.
- Personal vehicles should be in good condition and able to handle dirt/gravel roads.
- *Note that road conditions may be difficult in some areas depending on weather.
Work schedules consist of 1-2 weeks on followed by 2-3 days off. However, timing of and the number of days off is highly dependent upon weather conditions and is subject to change throughout the field season.
- Excellent time management skills
- Ability to oversee field technicians and fieldwork with minimal daily supervision
- Extensive experience conducting avian point counts
- Experience with leading a field crew
- Experience with identification of Texas birds, especially grassland birds
- Estimating distances to detected birds
- Excellent navigational abilities
- Meticulous data collection skills
- Ability to work independently
- Good inter-personal skills
- Valid driver’s license
- Must be 18 years old or older and eligible to work in the US
- Must be willing to undergo a background check
Please send electronic copies (PDF) of the following in one document:
1) A letter of interest
3) Names and contact information for three work references.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the positions are filled.
If you have trouble, please send your cover letter and resume as one document to HR@abcbirds.org