Position Title: Golden-winged Warbler Field Technician (New Jersey Audubon)
Job Description: The Golden-winged Warbler Field Technicians (four) will be responsible for point count surveys, nest searching and monitoring of Golden-winged Warbler, Blue-winged Warbler, and other target bird species in managed early successional habitats and control sites throughout the NJ Highlands. Technicians will be responsible for recording detailed observations and data in the field, data entry, and other duties as necessary. The position requires working independently in the field, walking long distances over steep, rough terrain, carrying equipment, and tolerating exposure to variable and sometimes adverse weather and environmental conditions. Training will be provided.
All field work conducted at NJ Audubon adheres to NJA’s Field Work Protocol following COVID-19 precautions, complying with federal, state, and local guidelines and restrictions and following industry best practices. Health and safety of staff, volunteers, program and project participants and the public are the top priority.
- Nest searching and monitoring of Golden-winged Warbler and other early successional bird species
- Point count surveys using distance sampling methodology
- Territory mapping
- Habitat surveys
- Recording detailed observations and data in the field
- Data entry and management
Qualifications, Knowledge and Skills
- Bachelor’s degree in wildlife biology, ecology, environmental science or similar field preferred.
- Experience identifying birds of the eastern U.S. by sight and sound
- Experience nest searching, preferably in early successional habitats
- Experience conducting point count surveys
- General knowledge of vegetation and habitats of New Jersey
- Attention to detail, ability to follow detailed protocols and collecting data
- Ability and willingness to interact with the public and work well with partners
- Proficiency with GPS and range finders preferred
- Proficiency with MS Office, including Excel or Access, required; experience with GIS preferred
- Excellent oral and written communication skills required.
- Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills with the ability to relate to and motivate a diverse range of people, exercise cultural competence and inclusion, and accept direction and constructive feedback.
- Motivated self-starter able to work productively independently in the execution of their responsibilities while collaborating with other staff and organizations with the ability to demonstrate initiative and a positive attitude.
- Punctual with excellent organizational, time and project management skills with the ability to manage multiple projects, shifting priorities and meet deadlines.
- Strong professionalism and work ethic with the ability to exercise discretion and maintain confidentiality.
- Willingness to work irregular hours under sometimes difficult field conditions.
- Flexibility to adjust hours to meet the special needs of the program and organization.
- Ability to walk long distances in uneven, muddy, or wet terrain, sometimes in inclement weather.
- Ability to move materials and lift 25 lbs. as needed.
- Must have own reliable transportation, and a valid and driver’s license.
Start Date: May 2, 2022
End Date: August 5, 2022
Salary: $1040-$1120/bi-weekly pay period, depending on experience. Housing arrangements may be available. Mileage reimbursement will be provided.
Application Deadline: February 11, 2022.
Qualified individuals may apply by emailing cover letter of interest, resume, and three references as a single PDF document (including email and phone contact info) to email@example.com. Please indicate in the subject line the position for which you are applying so that your application is directed to the appropriate department.
We are committed to building a diverse team and strongly encourage all qualified professionals to apply. The New Jersey Audubon Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, age, national origin, ethnic background, disability or any other characteristic protected by law.