Agency: Archbold Biological Station
Location: Kenansville, FL
Job Type: Temporary/Seasonal Positions
Salary: $12.75/hour, plus free housing
Start Date: April 2022
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Job Description: One seasonal field technicians is needed for demographic research and monitoring of the critically endangered Florida Grasshopper Sparrow (FGSP). This position starts is 12 weeks long; starting April 2022 and runs through June 2022 with the potential for extension contingent on funding. This position is with Archbold Biological Station’s Avian Ecology program, directed by Dr. Reed Bowman and will be based in central Florida.
Primary duties will include conducting FGSP surveys (point count and transect), resighting of color-banded individuals, behavioral observations, nest searching and protection, vegetation surveys, insect sampling, and data entry. This three person team will be composed of 1 research assistant and 2 field technicians who will be responsible for monitoring the FGSP population at the study area and will likely aid other field crews at other sites throughout the season as well. This position provides an exciting opportunity to join the collaborative conservation efforts to save one of the most threatened birds in North America. Press coverage of this project can be found here: https://www.allaboutbirds.org/racing-to-save-the-florida-grasshopper-sparrow/
Preferred candidates should have:
· A Bachelor’s degree in Biology, Ecology, Wildlife Science, or a related field.
· Excellent birding skills (species identification by song is essential) and experience with conducting point count surveys.
· Extensive experience searching for and monitoring grassland bird nests.
· Excellent behavioral observation skill and attention to detail.
· Ability to read color bands
· Ability to get through barbed-wire fences.
· Ability to carry up to 50 lbs. for short periods of time.
· Tolerance for biting insects, early mornings, high heat/humidity, and walking long distances.
· Dedication, sensitivity, and attention to detail when working with a critically endangered bird.
· Prior experience hauling trailers preferred but not required.
· Ability to live happily in a rural setting.
Pay is $12.75/hr (40hrs/week, $2040/month) with off-site housing provided (shared living space, no pets, no smoking). US citizenship or a US work visa is required. All applicants must have a valid driver’s license and personal vehicle to access off-site housing. A 4x4 work vehicle will be provided.
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, CV, and contact information for three professional references in a single document to our google sheet. Additional questions should be forwarded to Fabiola Baeza-Tarin (fbaeza AT archbold-station.org). Please indicate 'FGSP Research Technician Question' in the subject heading. This position will be open until filled, early applications are encouraged.
Archbold is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from members of underrepresented groups.
To apply please fill out this google form: