Job Description: One – two seasonal field technicians are needed for demographic research and monitoring of the critically endangered Florida Grasshopper Sparrow (FGSP). Start and end dates are flexible but both positions are envisioned to start mid-March 2021 and run through August 2021. These positions are with Archbold Biological Station’s Avian Ecology program, directed by Dr. Reed Bowman, and are based on a private cattle ranch in central Florida.
Primary duties will include conducting FGSP surveys (point count and transect), resighting of color-banded individuals, behavioral observations, nest searching and protection, vegetation surveys, and data entry. This three person team will be composed of 1 research assistant and 2 field technicians who will be responsible for monitoring the FGSP population at the ranch property and will likely aid other field crews at other sites throughout the season as well. This position provides an exciting opportunity to join the collaborative conservation efforts to save one of the most threatened birds in North America. Press coverage of this project can be found here: https://www.allaboutbirds.org/racing-to-save-the-florida-grasshopper-sparrow/
Preferred candidates should have:
· A Bachelor’s degree in Biology, Ecology, Wildlife Science, or a related field.
· Excellent birding skills (species identification by song is essential) and experience with conducting point count surveys.
· Extensive experience searching for and monitoring grassland bird nests.
· Excellent behavioral observation skill and attention to detail.
· Ability to read color bands and jump barbed-wire fences.
· Ability to carry up to 50 lbs. for short periods of time.
· Tolerance for biting insects, early mornings, high heat/humidity, and walking long distances.
· Dedication, sensitivity, and attention to detail when working with a critically endangered bird.
· Prior experience hauling trailers preferred but not required.
· Ability to live happily in a rural setting.
Pay is $11.30/hr (40hrs/week, $1808/month) with off-site housing provided (shared living space, no pets, no smoking). US citizenship or a US work visa is required. All applicants must have a valid driver’s license and personal vehicle to access off-site housing. A 4x4 work vehicle will be provided.
Interested applicants should fill out the application in the link below:
Applications must be submitted by October 31, 2020. Early application is strongly encouraged. For questions regarding the application please refer to Fabiola Baeza at firstname.lastname@example.org
Archbold is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from members of underrepresented groups.