The Michigan Natural Features Inventory (MNFI) is hiring up to 4 field technicians for the 2022 field season. The MNFI technician positions would begin in spring 2022 (mid March to early May) and continue through late summer (mid to late August). Pay range is $15-18 per hour, commensurate with experience. Working closely with the principal investigators, technicians will plan field activities, conduct surveys, and ensure accurate data collection.
- Evaluating potential sampling sites
- Conducting bird surveys and insect surveys
- Sampling vegetation and habitat characteristics
- Cleaning and maintaining equipment
- Processing specimens
- Compiling and entering data into spreadsheets
Technicians will focus on surveys for birds and butterflies with target group/species depending on position and projects, but may include surveys for raptors, marsh birds, songbirds, and the federally endangered Mitchell's satyr butterfly. Field sampling will regularly require long hours and early morning and nighttime work schedules under adverse working conditions (e.g., long days in hot and humid weather, long and difficult hikes in wetlands, and biting insects). Work over some holidays and/or weekends, travel to study sites throughout Michigan, and the use of a personal vehicle will be required (mileage reimbursed at standard rate).
- Proven ability in establishing and working with a diverse network of constituents and community members across race, gender, socioeconomic class, disabilities and other differences to assist with program development and outreach;
- Understanding of and ability to implement Civil Rights principles and compliance standards;
- Familiarity with Michigan and/or Midwestern ecosystems;
- Experience conducting bird and/or insect surveys;
- Ability to identify common Michigan plant species;
- Capability to navigate via map, compass, and GPS.
- Willingness to learn and able to work both independently and as part of a team;
- Applicants must have reliable transportation and comfortable using watercraft (small boats, kayaks), driving long hours across the state of Michigan, and working alone in remote locations.
Interested candidates should apply online via Careers @ MSU to position number 748063 using the following link: https://careers.msu.edu/cw/en-us/job/508614/extension-program-worker-field-technician. Please contact Ashley Cole-Wick at email@example.com if you have questions.