The position requires a highly skilled wildlife biologist capable of working in remote conditions to conduct surveys for prey of Arctic-nesting raptors. The field technician will work as a member of a 4-person crew at a remote site in Alaska and in collaboration with biologists from the Alaska Department of Fish and Game and other partners. When time allows, crew members will participate in surveys for Gyrfalcons and in nest entries.
This position offers unparalleled scenery, exciting fieldwork, and a unique Alaska experience, but applicants must understand that field conditions will include the best and worst that Alaska has to offer, and long hours are required.
Duration: Approximately 1 May to 15 July (dates flexible).
RESPONSIBILITIES AND SCOPE
· Conduct surveys for prey of Arctic-nesting Gyrfalcons and other raptors
· Collect prey remains and pellets
· Careful data collection and reporting
· Drive a 4WD pickup and ATV
· Must be enrolled in a 4-year university program centered on wildlife management, vertebrate ecology, or similar field
· Excellent demonstrated ability in identifying birds and mammals of Alaska
· Experience recording scientific data in the field, and checking for quality and errors
· Must possess excellent field capabilities and the ability to work outdoors for extended periods of time in severe field conditions that may include below-freezing weather, strong winds, precipitation, encounters with grizzly bears and other dangerous animals, river crossings, and clouds of mosquitoes
· Ability to get along with co-workers and project volunteers while maintaining a positive attitude is key
· Ability to carry heavy backpacks over uneven terrain in inclement weather, and to enjoy all aspects of remote fieldwork
· Backpacking and backcountry navigation experience
· U.S. driver’s license and ability to drive 4WD
· Legal status to work in the USA
· Bear safety training
· Familiarity with firearms
· Knowledge of safe use of an ATV and driving 4WD pickups in remote field settings
· Photography skills
· Practice living in a small space and contributing to household chores (e.g., cooking, cleaning, emptying the honey bucket).
$790 Every two weeks, plus travel to Nome, food and lodging, and travel at the field site are included.
Send via email a single file attachment (PDF preferred) including: a cover letter clearly stating your qualifications, resume, and contact information for 3 references to HIRING MANAGER firstname.lastname@example.org Name the file, “LastName_FirstName_PreyTechnician.”
Edited by David Anderson