About This Position
Mass Audubon is seeking to fill seasonal Field Technician positions to conduct research, monitoring, management, and protection of coastal birds and other natural resources. For more information, please visit www.massaudubon.org/cwp.
Multiple positions based at:
· Long Pasture Wildlife Sanctuary, Barnstable MA (covering field sites in Cape Cod, Boston, Wareham, and the North Shore)
· Allens Pond Wildlife Sanctuary, Dartmouth MA (covering field sites Westport to Dartmouth)
· Wellfleet Bay Wildlife Sanctuary, Wellfleet MA (covering field sites Truro to Chatham)
· Lost Farm Wildlife Sanctuary, Nantucket, MA, and Felix Neck Wildlife Sanctuary, Edgartown MA (covering field sites on the Islands: Martha’s Vineyard and Nantucket)
· South Shore Sanctuaries, Marshfield MA (covering field sites from Plymouth to Hull)
· South Beach, Chatham (*note this position requires living in a remote camp setting on a barrier beach)
Further details on specific monitored regions will be discussed at the time of the interview.
Duties & Responsibilities
· Collect biological data on nesting, foraging and migrating species of coastal waterbirds including abundance and distribution of target species
· Accomplish the wildlife management, protection, and education objectives of the Coastal Waterbird Program
· Assist with sanctuary-based Coastal Waterbird Program staff throughout the region
· Assist in management of databases including abundance, productivity and behavioral data
· Create GIS/Google Earth maps of coastal resources
· Assist in compilation of data for state plover, tern, and oystercatcher census forms and write summary reports for specific sites on results and management activities
· Conduct research on special projects as directed
· Other tasks as directed
At Mass Audubon, our highest priority is finding the best candidate for the job. Research has shown that people of color and women are less likely to apply for jobs if they don't believe they meet every one of the qualifications described in a job description. We encourage you to apply, even if you don't believe you meet every one of our described qualifications or you have a less traditional background. We are looking for applicants with the following qualifications:
· Associate degree in science or B.S., B.A., or higher in wildlife biology/management, ecology, zoology, environmental science, or related field preferred (equivalent experience helpful), in addition to 3 months of previous field experience
· Applicants should have demonstrated experience utilizing judgment in field-based wildlife research or management projects and have a strong attention to detail
· Applicants must have strong interpersonal skills
· Must be able to work long hours outside in all weather conditions and be able to lift and carry up to 40lbs across varied and sandy terrain
· Must be willing to work weekends, holidays, and irregular hours (dependent upon wildlife and weather)
· Must have access to a vehicle for daily driving between sites
· Small boat-handling experience preferred
· Prior experience in avian field research and management strongly preferred
· Experience in behavioral data collection, band-reading, wildlife tracking, coastal wildlife management issues, and GIS mapping preferred
Compensation & Benefits
This position’s base salary range is $16.60 - $18.50 per hour; actual salary will reflect level of experience and qualifications relative to position requirements. This position is eligible for health benefits.
Variable hours and schedule due to weather and site-specific requirements. Typically 35 hours per week, including work on weekends and holidays, 8am-4pm.
Employees must successfully complete a CORI and SORI Background Check and a Motor Vehicle Record (if applicable) is required.
Mass Audubon requires that all staff, regardless of their work location, disclose their vaccination status. Proof of vaccination status will be required immediately upon hire. This should also include a booster shot if it has been 5 months since you were initially vaccinated.
Mass Audubon's Commitment To Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, & Justice
Mass Audubon's mission is to "protect the nature of Massachusetts for people and for wildlife" by building a strong coalition of employees, volunteers, and community members. We recognize that the environmental movement and field of conservation have been affected by societal systems that have limited opportunity and access for many people. As a result, Mass Audubon is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and applicants. We are engaged in an ongoing process of organizational assessment and change, designed to remove barriers and create a workplace where all forms of diversity are recognized and valued.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Mass Audubon is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and applicants. Mass Audubon prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
How To Apply
Please apply on ADP Workforce Now: https://workforcenow.adp.com/mascsr/default/mdf/recruitment/recruitment.html?cid=6044bc19-19e6-443a-8a51-62fe8af33798&ccId=19000101_000001&jobId=450057&lang=en_US&source=EN.
Please include a cover letter (specify position(s) for which you are applying and dates of availability), resume, and list of three references with your ADP application. Label your resume and cover letter with your first and last name.
In addition, please complete a short cover page questionnaire at https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/F7SKJBS. Your application will not be processed without completion of the items above. Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible, as interviews will begin in January and positions will be filled by March 27, 2023.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.