Western EcoSystems Technology, Inc. (WEST), a dynamic medium size consulting firm with offices across the United States, is looking for a 5 full-time temporary Field Supervisors to manage a team of biological field technicians that will be investigating the impact of wind turbines on bats and birds at operational wind facilities throughout Iowa, starting May 2023 through October 31, 2023. Since 1990, WEST has grown to be one of the premier environmental and statistical consulting firms in the United States. WEST has a permanent core of professionals with broad experience in basic and applied ecological studies and the sophisticated analysis of natural resource data.
- Compensation: $22.50 – $25.00 per hour, DOE
- Completion Bonus: up to $500 will be provided upon completion of the Project while in good standing
- Housing: Housing provided or rent reimbursement may be provided to qualifying applicants
- Start Date: May 2023
- End Date: October 31, 2023
- Location: Various counties (e.g., Adair, Cass, Poweshiek, Greene, Webster, Ida, Pocahontas, O’Brien, Marshall), Iowa
- The successful candidates for this position will be:
- Able to work independently as well as in team settings with the ability to communicate and coordinate effectively with a crew of up to 10 technicians.
- Experienced supervisors and be skilled in identifying regional birds and bats by sight, and have had experience working in extreme weather conditions and navigating rough terrain.
- Well-organized, with the ability to electronically track and maintain data across various facilities, tracking systems, and databases
- Lead a crew of up to ten field technicians across multiple facilities
- Communicate with technicians requiring the consistent use of phone/text and email, including availability when crews are working (early mornings and late evening)
- Onboard and train new biological field technicians on use of gear and survey protocols
- Search designated plots beneath wind turbines for bat and bird fatalities and collect data on tablets to measure sources of bias in fatality estimation; there may be limited opportunities to conduct additional biological surveys
- Schedule searches and bias trials at each facility
- Assist with bias trials including assisting in the identification of birds or bats; and assisting with fatality monitoring when necessary
- Review data summaries and ensure quality data are being collected
- Be responsible for maintaining and tracking inventory of equipment, organization and quality of data, and data summaries as requested
This is a general description of the functions for this position and is not inclusive of all the duties which may be associated with this position.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Natural Resources, Wildlife Management, Wildlife Biology, or an equivalent degree preferred but not required
- Candidates with previous management experience and/or in-field experience with regional wind projects will be given preference
- Advanced experience with macro-photography, bat and bird identification for species in the region, and guides and keys for identification is required
- Skilled use of computers, GPS units, topographic maps, compass, and other field equipment is required
- Candidates must be organized, and able to collect and manage data on a tablet, including implementing quality control measures
- Must be able to work independently and interact professionally and respectfully with project managers, biologists, technicians, clients, and landowners
- Job requires the person filling this position to be able to appear for work on time; start times can often start as early as sunrise
- Off-road driver training will be provided which will include a driving assessment
- Applicants must be in good physical condition, as surveys will require walking for entire shifts in locations where temperatures and conditions can be extreme and opening and closing gates weighing 50+ pounds.
- Must be equipped with and provide own suitable safety toed footwear (steel or composite-toe), binoculars, clothing, water bottles, etc.
WEST is committed to providing a safe and healthy work environment for everyone and highly recommends all prospective hires be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to their start date. While WEST does not currently require vaccinations, please be aware that WEST has a mandatory vaccination policy in place should local, state or federal law require vaccinations. Additionally, WEST has certain clients that require all personnel to be vaccinated prior to working on their projects, so individuals will be required to be fully vaccinated and provide proof of vaccination prior to working on those projects. As an exception, employees may also request a Medical or Religious exemption from the vaccine requirement and the request must be supported by a doctor for a medical exemption or by a statement from the employee outlining a sincerely held belief to qualify for a religious exemption. Please contact us if you have any questions.
After an offer of employment is made, the candidate must successfully pass a pre- employment background check, drug screening, and a DMV records check that meets WEST’s minimum criteria to operate a motor vehicle on behalf of the company. A valid driver’s license will be required.
WEST provides equal employment opportunities to all individuals regardless of their race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, genetics, and any protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Further, WEST takes affirmative action to ensure that all individuals are treated fairly, and without discrimination, for recruitment, selection, advancement and every other term and privilege associated with employment.
Benefit & Compensation Infographic-Temporary_V2_2022 (1).pdf
There are no comments to display.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.