FIELD RESEARCH ASSISTANT - FLORIDA GRASSHOPPER SPARROWS
Location: Kenansville, FL
Duration: mid-March through late-August 2019 (dates flexible)
Job Type: Seasonal
Application Deadline: Feb 28, 2019
Job Description: One experienced seasonal field technician is needed for demographic research and monitoring of the critically endangered Florida Grasshopper Sparrow (FGSP). This position is with Archbold Biological Station’s Avian Ecology program, directed by Dr. Reed Bowman, and is based on a private cattle ranch in central Florida. Primary duties will include conducting FGSP surveys (point count and transect), resighting of color-banded individuals, behavioral observations, nest searching and protection, and data entry. The technician will be part of a two-person team responsible for monitoring the FGSP population at this property and will likely aid field crews at other sites throughout the season as well. This position provides an exciting opportunity to join the collaborative conservation efforts to save one of the most threatened birds in North America. However, please keep in mind that seasonal duties may be limited because the FGSP population at this site is critically small. Press coverage of this project can be found here: https://www.allaboutbirds.org/racing-to-save-the-florida-grasshopper-sparrow/
Preferred candidates should have:
· A Bachelor’s degree in Biology, Ecology, Wildlife Science, or a related field.
· Excellent birding skills (species identification by song is essential) and experience with conducting point count surveys.
· Extensive experience searching for and monitoring grassland bird nests.
· Excellent behavioral observation skills, attention to detail, and the ability to maintain large databases with a high level of accuracy and integrity.
· Ability to read color bands.
· Tolerance for biting insects, early mornings, and high heat/humidity.
· Dedication, sensitivity, and attention to detail when working with a critically endangered bird.
· Ability to live happily in a rural setting.
Pay is $11.30/hr (40hrs/week, $1808/month), with off-site housing provided (shared living space, separate bedrooms, no pets, no smoking). US citizenship or a US work visa is required. All applicants must have a valid driver’s license and personal vehicle to access off-site housing. 4x4 work vehicles will be provided.
Interested applicants should send a cover letter, CV, and contact information for three professional references in a single document to Rebecca Windsor (rwindsor AT archbold-station.org). Please indicate 'Research Assistant Application' in the subject heading. Applications must be submitted by the end of February 2019. Early application is strongly encouraged.
Archbold is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from members of underrepresented groups.