To apply, go to https://www.employment.ucdavis.edu/applicants/jsp/shared/search/Search_css.jsp
then search for requisition number 03023343
The Fleishman lab at University of California, Davis seeks assistance with interdisciplinary studies focusing on ornithology and phenology of the Great Basin (eastern California, western and central Nevada). General responsibilities include conducting point counts of breeding birds and tracking phenology of flowering plants and insects. The position will maintain detailed data records and interact with local resource managers and the public. The activities expected of the position will lead to analyses and interpretations suitable for inclusion in manuscripts that will be submitted to peer-reviewed scientific journals. The position will interact with multidisciplinary teams of ecologists and geographers and engage in professional discussions relevant to the work. The ideal candidate will have strong interpersonal, communication, and decision-making skills, and the ability to work well independently and as part of a team.
Existing proficiency in identification of western birds by sound and sight is an ESSENTIAL qualification of this position.
· BS degree (or substantial progress toward such a degree) in ecology, natural resources, or a related field with two or more years of experience in remote field settings.
· Experience performing point counts or similar surveys of breeding birds.
· Experience measuring vegetation structure and composition.
· Excellent organizational skills, including ability to collect and maintain accurate hard-copy data records.
· Good physical condition and the ability to work independently in remote field settings, including regular camping in the field.
· Valid driver’s license issued in the United States.
· Experience driving four-wheel drive vehicles on county-maintained roads.
· Ability to operate manual-transmission vehicles.
· CPR and first aid certifications.
Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Applicants will be asked to submit a CV or resume, statement of interest and qualifications, and names and contact information for three professional references.