Western EcoSystems Technology, Inc. (WEST), a dynamic medium size consulting firm with offices across the United States, is looking for a temporary, full-time Field Lead with an emphasis in wetland sciences and/or botany. We are looking for multiple biologists to lead field crews throughout the 2023 field season. If you are a recent graduate, seasoned field biologist, or a late career biologist looking to get back to your field roots, this is a great opportunity.
- Compensation: $23-28/ hour, DOE
- Start Date: May 1st, 2023
- Location: North Dakota and Montana
- # of Hires Needed: 2
The successful candidates will be responsible for conducting botanical and wildlife surveys remotely in eastern Montana and western North Dakota. Previous experience and/or knowledge of BLM and USFS sensitive species and USACE wetland delineation procedures are a plus. Surveys start May 2023 and will continue through October 2023. Biologists will need to be experienced in any or all of the following topics:
- General field surveys
- Wetland and waterbody delineations
- General botanical inventories
- Rare plant surveys
- Sensitive species habitat suitability and presence/absence survey
- Prairie dogs, burrowing owls, northern long-eared bats, mountain plovers, Dakota skipper butterfly, among other state and federally listed species
Field Technicians typically work in teams of two in remote locations across the Northern Great Plains of North Dakota and Montana. We will outfit crews with proper field equipment and supervision. Training to be provided as warranted. We expect biologists to have basic field skills including but not limited to:
- Emphasis on Health & Safety
- Field responsibility
- Ability to follow survey and data collection protocols
- Data QA/QC
- Orientation skills
- Utilize tablets, GPS units, and other field equipment
- Physically able to walk long stretches over rough terrain and in extreme temperatures
- Experience with 4wd vehicles
- Strong communication skills
- Knowledge of local flora and fauna or ability to quickly learn local species
This is a general description of the functions for this position and is not inclusive of the duties which may be associated with this position.
The requirements for this position are focused on general biological survey knowledge, a desire to be in the field, the ability to be a leader in the field, and a willingness to follow standard protocols to ensure the successful completion of project work. The successful candidate must be a self-starter who possesses:
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in biological studies, natural resources, wildlife management, wildlife biology or equivalent; or degree in process.
- Previous experience conducting botanical, wetland/waterbody, and/or wildlife surveys.
- A strong track record of maintaining positive relationships with coworkers, clients or stakeholders.
- Ability to follow instructions from managers and accept guidance and constructive feedback.
- Desire to be outside for long periods of time.
After an offer of employment is made, the candidate must successfully pass a pre- employment background check, drug screening, and a DMV records check that meets WEST’s minimum criteria to operate a motor vehicle on behalf of the company. A valid driver’s license will be required.
WEST provides equal employment opportunities to all individuals regardless of their race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, genetics, and any protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Further, WEST takes affirmative action to ensure that all individuals are treated fairly, and without discrimination, for recruitment, selection, advancement and every other term and privilege associated with employment.
Benefit & Compensation Infographic-Temporary_V2_2022 (1).pdf
There are no comments to display.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.