NRSI is currently seeking 2 Field Biologist positions based in the Medicine Hat area, with regular travel to nearby project sites. This opening is for part-time contract positions of up to 9 months, with a flexible start date of approximately February 22, 2021.
The successful applicant(s) will conduct biological field monitoring, primarily consisting of wildlife searches at operational solar energy facilities in the Medicine Hat area. The positions will allow the field biologists to gain experience in visual bird identification and implementation of scientific methods, as well as with data collection and analysis.
The successful candidates will meet the following minimum requirements:
· Eager to learn and assist with biological monitoring at renewable energy facilities;
· Good work ethic and dependability, excellent communication, ability to work independently, and a positive attitude;
· Willing to work long hours under variable field conditions (e.g., variable weather, insects, walking through tall vegetation). Occasional work on statutory holidays may be required. Physical fitness is an important component of this position and candidates should be comfortable walking for several hours each day, in variable weather conditions, and on uneven terrain;
· Demonstrated accuracy, attention to detail, and active problem-solving;
· Proficiency with simple navigation (previous experience with handheld GPS units is preferred, but not mandatory);
· Ability to keep well-organized and detailed field notes;
· Experience with visual identification of birds is an asset, but not mandatory.
NRSI is an equal opportunity employer that provides employees with competitive salaries based on experience.
Position Type - Part-time contract (up to 2 positions available)
Duration - February 22, 2021 – November 30
Location - Medicine Hat area, AB
Mandatory Requirements - Valid driver’s licence
Preferred Qualifications - Standard First Aid and CPR certification and use of a personal vehicle
Salary - $20-25/hour (commensurate on experience)
Submission Details - Please submit resume and cover letter by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: “Field Biologist (Medicine Hat)” by February 12, 2021. Only candidates selected for interview will be contacted.
Interview Dates - To begin immediately, as suitable applications are received, preferably beginning by February 16th.
Natural Resource Solutions Inc. (NRSI) is an environmental consulting firm that focuses on technical excellence in the field of ecology. NRSI staff have experience working on a wide range of projects across Canada, including land developments, renewable energy, natural heritage planning, ecological restoration, and sensitive species assessments.