Western EcoSystems Technology, Inc. (WEST), a dynamic medium size consulting firm with offices across the United States, is seeking temporary, full or part-time field biologists to assist our southwest office (Las Vegas, NV). Candidates should be willing to commit to at least 3 months of work, from August 17th through mid-November, 2022. Since 1990, WEST has grown to be one of the premier environmental and statistical consulting firms in the United States. WEST has a permanent core of professionals with broad experience in basic and applied ecological studies and the sophisticated analysis of natural resource data.
- Compensation: $20 per hour based on experience
- Start date: Approximately August 17th, 2022
- End date: Mid-November, 2022
- Location: White Hills, AZ
- # of Hires: 15
- Housing: Local candidates are encouraged to apply; a modest housing reimbursement may be available for qualified candidates. Commute time of up to 1.5 hours/day will be reimbursed. Company trucks provided at a central carpool location.
- Additional details: A company vehicle will be provided for project work. GPS unit, compass, camera, and range finder (if necessary) will be provided by WEST; however, technicians must be equipped with their own appropriate field clothing, sturdy hiking boots, and binoculars.
Primary duties involve:
- Conducting fatality monitoring for bird and bat fatalities beneath operating wind turbines at a wind facility in the Mojave Desert (northwestern Arizona).
- Field work will require long days in potentially high winds and temperatures that will exceed 100®F. Early morning start times are required to minimize heat stress.
- Fatality monitoring will require long days of continuous walking in close proximity to other team members. Surveyors will be required to walk 10-15 miles per day.
- Candidates must be comfortable with hazards typical of the desert environment including: sharp vegetation, extreme temperatures, venomous snakes, and dehydration; and must be comfortable operating 4X4 vehicles in rough terrain.
- Candidates proficient in electronic data collection (tablet data forms) and data management preferred.
- Job duties will require use of compass, global positioning system devices, binoculars, range finders, and digital cameras, as well as the ability to maintain equipment throughout the season.
- Technician should have, at minimum, a familiarity with Mojave Desert bird and bat species. Training will be provided for all Project-specific topics.
- Technicians will be expected to use good judgment and follow WEST and Project protocols to stay healthy, safe, and efficient.
- Candidates interested in full or part-time work are encouraged to apply. Full-time schedule of four days on /four days off. Candidates will be required to work some weekends.
This is a general description of the functions for this position and is not inclusive of the duties which may be associated with this position.
- Bachelor’s degree in natural resources, wildlife management, wildlife biology or equivalent degree preferred; however, undergraduates and enthusiastic workers with relevant experience are encouraged to apply.
- Must be able to work cooperatively and interact professionally and respectfully with project managers, biologists, technicians, clients, and landowners.
- Ability to follow protocol is essential.
- Good bird and bat identification skills for species in the region and ability to use guides and keys for identification are preferred.
- Skilled use of GPS units, topographic maps, compass, and other field equipment is required.
- Job requires the person filling this position to be able to appear for work on time; follow instructions from project managers and field supervisors; interact effectively with coworkers and clients; maintain a positive attitude; and accept guidance and constructive criticism.
- Precise and thorough data collection is essential.
- Applicants must be in excellent physical shape, as surveys will be conducted in locations where temperatures and conditions can be extreme.
- Applicants must be able to hike 10 – 15 miles/day in adverse weather conditions.
Due to stringent client requirements and WEST's commitment to provide a safe and healthy work environment for everyone, all prospective hires will be required to provide documentation that they have been fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to their start date. As an exception, employees may also request a Medical or Religious exemption from the vaccine requirement and the request must be supported by a doctor for a medical exemption or by a statement from the employee outlining a sincerely held belief to qualify for a religious exemption. Please contact us if you have any questions related to the requirement and/or exemptions.
After an offer of employment is made, the candidate must successfully pass a pre- employment background check, drug screening, and a DMV records check that meets WEST’s minimum criteria to operate a motor vehicle on behalf of the company. A valid driver’s license will be required.
WEST provides equal employment opportunities to all individuals regardless of their race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, genetics, and any protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Further, WEST takes affirmative action to ensure that all individuals are treated fairly, and without discrimination, for recruitment, selection, advancement and every other term and privilege associated with employment.