Western EcoSystems Technology, Inc. (WEST), a dynamic medium size consulting firm with offices across the United States, is looking for a full-time temporary, Field Biologist. Since 1990, WEST has grown to be one of the premier environmental and statistical consulting firms in the United States. WEST has a permanent core of professionals with broad experience in basic and applied ecological studies and the sophisticated analysis of natural resource data.
- Compensation: $20- 23/hour commensurate with experience
- Start date: July 2022
- End date: September 2024
- Location: Tehachapi, California
- Housing: Housing is comfortable but shared (private quarters), and employee must be able to live amicably with coworkers. Employee will be required to participate in cleaning duties of the shared housing.
- Additional details: Vehicle will be provided or mileage reimbursed. GPS units and other field equipment will be provided by WEST; however, field biologist must be equipped with suitable footwear (rugged hiking boots).
Primary duties involve:
- Conducting fatality monitoring at wind energy facilities, possibility for avian use and sensitive specie surveys
- Fieldwork will require long days in hot conditions (often over 100° F) and wind speeds.
- Candidate must be comfortable with hazards typical of the environment (sharp vegetation, rattlesnakes, driving a four-wheel drive vehicle, dust, extreme heat and cold).
- Job duties require use of compass, range-finder, tablet, and Global Positioning System devices.
- Training will be provided.
- An average workweek may include ~35 -40 hours, though may require shorter or longer hours some weeks, depending on the project and seasonal workloads.
This is a general description of the functions for this position and is not inclusive of the duties which may be associated with this position.
- Bachelor’s degree in natural resources, wildlife management, wildlife biology or equivalent degree preferred.
- Highly proficient in identification of Mojave Desert bird species by sight and sound and able to work independently and interact positively with project manager, field supervisor, and other coworkers.
- Employee must be able to appear for work on time (surveys often begin as early as sunrise) ; Maintain focus for long periods of time; Follow instructions from manager and team leader; Maintain positive attitude; And accept guidance and constructive criticism. Precise and thorough data collection is essential.
- Applicants must be in good physical condition, as surveys will require walking /hiking up to 8 miles each day over uneven terrain, and surveys will be conducted in locations where temperatures and conditions can be extreme. Surveyors may encounter snakes, insects, and other wildlife.
Due to stringent client requirements and WEST's commitment to provide a safe and healthy work environment for everyone, all prospective hires will be required to provide documentation that they have been fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to their start date. As an exception, employees may also request a Medical or Religious exemption from the vaccine requirement and the request must be supported by a doctor for a medical exemption or by a statement from the employee outlining a sincerely held belief to qualify for a religious exemption. Please contact us if you have any questions related to the requirement and/or exemptions.
After an offer of employment is made, the candidate must successfully pass a pre-employment background check, drug screening, and a DMV records check that meets WEST’s minimum criteria to operate a motor vehicle on behalf of the company. A valid driver’s license will be required. Candidates must adhere to all health and safety requirements.
WEST provides equal employment opportunities to all individuals regardless of their race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, genetics, and any protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Further, WEST takes affirmative action to ensure that all individuals are treated fairly, and without discrimination, for recruitment, selection, advancement and every other term and privilege associated with employment.