Western EcoSystems Technology, Inc. (WEST), a dynamic medium size consulting firm with offices across the United States, is seeking temporary, part-time field biologist to assist our team in the Midwest (specifically, southwestern Wisconsin). Candidates should be willing to commit to at least 3 month of work, from June 1 through August 31, 2022. Since 1990, WEST has grown to be one of the premier environmental and statistical consulting firms in the United States. WEST has a permanent core of professionals with broad experience in basic and applied ecological studies and the sophisticated analysis of natural resource data.
- Compensation: $18 per hour based on experience
- Start date: Approximately June 1, 2022
- End date: August 31, 2022
- Location: Dodgeville, WI
- Housing: Local candidates within 1-hour of Dodgeville Wisconsin are encouraged to apply. Commute time of up to 2 hours/day will be reimbursed.
- Additional details: A company vehicle may be provided for project work. GPS unit, compass, and range finder (if necessary) will be provided by WEST; however, technicians must be equipped with their own appropriate field clothing, boots, and binoculars.
Primary duties involve:
- Conducting fixed-point avian use surveys for large and small birds in the Upper Midwest (SW Wisconsin).
- Field work will require long days in potentially high winds and temperatures that may exceed 100®F.
- Candidates must be comfortable with hazards typical of field work including: extreme temperatures and biting insects, and must be comfortable operating 4X4 vehicles in rough terrain.
- Candidates proficient in accurate data collection.
- Job duties will require use of global positioning system devices, binoculars, range finders, and digital cameras, as well as the ability to maintain equipment throughout the season.
- Technician should have, at minimum, a familiarity with Midwestern bird species.
- Training will be provided for all Project-specific topics.
- Technicians will be expected to use good judgment and follow WEST and Project protocols to stay healthy, safe, and efficient.
- Use of personal vehicle is preferred, but a company vehicle can be provided for qualified candidates.
This is a general description of the functions for this position and is not inclusive of the duties which may be associated with this position.
- Bachelor’s degree in natural resources, wildlife management, wildlife biology or equivalent degree preferred; however, undergraduates and enthusiastic workers with relevant experience are encouraged to apply.
- Must be able to work independently and interact professionally and respectfully with project managers, biologists, technicians, clients, and landowners.
- Ability to follow protocol is essential.
- Good bird identification skills for species in the region and ability to use guides and keys for identification are preferred.
- Skilled use of GPS units, topographic maps, compass, and other field equipment is required.
- Job requires the person filling this position to be able to appear for work on time; follow instructions from project managers and field supervisors; interact effectively with coworkers and clients; maintain a positive attitude; and accept guidance and constructive criticism.
- Precise and thorough data collection is essential.
WEST is committed to providing a safe and healthy work environment for everyone and highly recommends all prospective hires be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to their start date. While WEST does not currently require vaccinations, please be aware that WEST has a mandatory vaccination policy in place should local, state or federal law require vaccinations. Additionally, WEST has certain clients that require all personnel to be vaccinated prior to working on their projects, so individuals will be required to be fully vaccinated and provide proof of vaccination prior to working on those projects. As an exception, employees may also request a Medical or Religious exemption from the vaccine requirement and the request must be supported by a doctor for a medical exemption or by a statement from the employee outlining a sincerely held belief to qualify for a religious exemption. Please contact us if you have any questions.
After an offer of employment is made, the candidate must successfully pass a pre- employment background check, drug screening, and a DMV records check that meets WEST’s minimum criteria to operate a motor vehicle on behalf of the company. A valid driver’s license will be required.
WEST provides equal employment opportunities to all individuals regardless of their race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, genetics, and any protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Further, WEST takes affirmative action to ensure that all individuals are treated fairly, and without discrimination, for recruitment, selection, advancement and every other term and privilege associated with employment.