The Beaverhill Bird Observatory is looking for a highly motivated individual to take on the duties of Field Assistant at our field station near Tofield, Alberta. This job involves assisting the Head Biologist in conducting songbird and owl monitoring from May 1 through October 31, 2023. This person will assist with bird banding, data entry, report writing, giving educational presentations and other public engagements, and other tasks to be determined. The salary is $3400 to $3600/month, commensurate with qualifications plus a $200 monthly stipend to cover travel to and from the bird observatory.
On-site accommodation for the field season is provided.
The Beaverhill Bird Observatory has conducted research and education in Alberta since 1984. Our main areas of interest are monitoring songbird populations during the migration and breeding seasons through mist netting, banding, and daily bird census, banding Northern Saw-whet Owls during the fall migration, and public education at the field station and in classrooms.
The successful applicant should possess the following skills and experience:
- Bird banding experience and banding permit are an asset
- Bird identification skills, particularly birds of Alberta (by sound and sight)
- Computer skills, in particular, Excel and Word
- Great writing skills for reports and weekly website updates
- Must be comfortable working in rustic conditions (our site is situated in a Natural Area near Beaverhill Lake and is off the grid - solar power, propane and ‘path’ plumbing).
- Must be able to walk long distances, complete physical labor, and work in all weather conditions
- Good communication, public speaking and presentation skills are an asset
- Good interpersonal skills required
- Safety certifications (First Aid/CPS, WHMIS, etc.) would be an asset
- Own a car for personal transportation
Submit a single-page cover letter that includes the following information:
- Describe why you want to work at the BBO
- What you can contribute to the position, referencing past experiences
- Current program and year of study if you are a student
- Bird identification courses and/or birding experience
- Submit a resume that includes the following information:
- Your name, phone number(s), address, and email address
- Relevant education, volunteer and work experience
- Contact information for two References
E-mail cover letters and resumes to Geoff Holroyd email@example.com Only potential
candidates will be contacted for an interview.
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: ASAP, UNTIL A SUITABLE CANDIDATE IS HIRED
There are no comments to display.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.