MIGRATION COUNTERS (3) August to November/December for fall migration monitoring projects at New Jersey Audubon’s Cape May Bird Observatory, Cape May, NJ. Cape May is one of the premier fall migration hot spots in the country. Specifically, we are hiring a counter for the Cape May Hawkwatch (full time August 25 to December 3), a counter for the Avalon Seawatch (full time September 22 to December 24), and a counter for the Cape May Morning Flight Project (part time 30 hrs/week August 1 to November 15). NJ Audubon fosters the application of sound scientific principles and practices to address conservation issues related to vertebrate and invertebrate fauna, and the natural habitats with which they are associated.
- Identify and count all migrating raptors, seabirds, or songbirds.
- Maintain daily data entry into a digital platform and follow backup data procedures as needed.
- Keep appropriate records for rare sightings.
- Provide daily summaries for post on various CMBO outlets.
- Some data entry in MS Excel possible.
- Provide end of season summary report for NJ Audubon publications in timely manner to receive final payment.
- Familiarity with bird migration and strong background identifying raptors, seabirds, or songbirds in flight.
- Careful data collecting skills a must.
- Willingness to work irregular hours under sometimes difficult field conditions.
- Strong Computer (Microsoft Office 365) fulfill the job requirements
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, and knowledge of environmental and conservation issues required.
- Punctual with excellent organizational, time and project management skills with the ability to manage multiple projects, shifting priorities and meet deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills with the ability to relate to and motivate a diverse range of people, exercise cultural competence and inclusion, and accept direction and constructive feedback.
- Motivated self-starter able to work independently in the execution of his or her responsibilities while collaborating with other staff, volunteers, and organizations with the ability to demonstrate initiative and a positive attitude
- Strong professionalism and work ethic with the ability to exercise discretion and maintain confidentiality.
- Must be able to walk on uneven surfaces and be able to lift at least 25 pounds
- All applicants must have their own vehicle, and a valid, clean driver’s license.
Dates for Morning Flight: August 1 to November 15, 2022
Dates for Cape May Hawkwatch: August 25 to December 3, 2022
Dates for Avalon Sea Watch: September 22 to December 24, 2022
Salary: $14.00/hour. Housing may be provided.
Application Deadline: July 10, 2022.
Interested individuals should email their cover letter, resume, and three references (including name, cell phone and email contact information) as a single PDF document to email@example.com
Please indicate in the subject line the position for which you are applying. If you are applying to multiple positions, please send a separate email for each position.
We are committed to building a diverse team and strongly encourage all qualified professionals to apply. The New Jersey Audubon Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, age, national origin, ethnic background, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law.