Job Description: MIGRATION COUNTER (3) for fall migration monitoring projects at New Jersey Audubon’s Cape May Bird Observatory, Cape May, NJ. Cape May is one of the premier fall migration hot spots in the country. Specifically, we are hiring a counter for the Cape May Hawkwatch Full time 40 hrs/week (September 1 to December 3), a counter for the Avalon Seawatch Full time 40 hrs/week (September 22 to December 24), and a counter for the Cape May Morning Flight Project (August 1 to November 15/part time – 30 hrs/week). NJA fosters the application of sound scientific principles and practices to address conservation issues related to vertebrate and invertebrate fauna, and the natural habitats with which they are associated.
· Identify and count all migrating raptors, seabirds, or songbirds.
· Maintain daily data entry into a digital platform and follow backup data procedures as needed.
· Keep appropriate records for rare sightings.
· Provide daily summaries for post on various CMBO outlets.
· Some data entry in MS Excel possible.
· Provide end of season summary report for NJ Audubon publications in timely manner to receive final payment.
Qualifications, Knowledge and Skills:
· Familiarity with bird migration and strong background identifying raptors, seabirds or songbirds in flight.
· Careful data collecting skills a must.
· Willingness to work irregular hours under sometimes difficult field conditions.
· Punctual with excellent organizational, time and project management skills with the ability to manage multiple projects, shifting priorities and meet deadlines.
· Strong computer skills – Microsoft Office to fulfill the job requirements.
· Excellent written and oral communication skills, and knowledge of environmental and conservation issues required.
· Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills with the ability to relate to and motivate a diverse range of people, exercise cultural competence and inclusion, and accept direction and constructive feedback.
· Motivated self-starter with capacity to work productively in a team setting with the ability to demonstrate initiative and a positive attitude.
· Strong professionalism and work ethic with the ability to exercise discretion and maintain confidentiality.
· Ability to lift 25 lbs. as necessary.
· All applicants must have their own vehicle, and a valid, clean driver’s license.
Start Date for Hawk Watch: September 1, 2020 End Date: December 3, 2020
Start Date for Avalon Sea Watch: September 22, 2020 End Date: December 24, 2020
Start Date for Morning Flight: August 1, 2020 End Date: November 15, 2020
Salary: $ 1,450 - $2,050/month, commensurate with experience. Housing may be available in a bunk-house environment.
Application Deadline: open until position filled.
Qualified individuals may apply by emailing cover letter of interest, resume, and three references as a single PDF document (including email and phone contact info) to email@example.com
Please indicate in the subject line the position for which you are applying, so that your application is directed to the appropriate department for review.
We are committed to building a diverse team and strongly encourage all qualified professionals to apply. The New Jersey Audubon Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, age, national origin, ethnic background, disability or any other characteristic protected by law.