Job Description: EXPERIENCED SONGBIRD BANDERS(2) August 8 to November 11, 2022, for Cape May Songbird Stopover Project, a long-term migration monitoring/banding program at New Jersey Audubon’s Cape May Bird Observatory, Cape May, NJ. Cape May is one of the premier fall migration hot spots in the country. The project applies sound scientific principles and practices to address conservation issues related to migratory songbirds and the natural habitats with which they depend on during stopovers on Cape May peninsula.
Major Responsibilities Duties:
· Daily operation of banding station at The Nature Conservancy’s South Cape May Meadows.
· Follow strict protocols for daily operations including go/no-go situations.
· Site Preparation (i.e. site setup, net lane clearing) and breakdown
· Site Maintenance (maintaining net lanes, net repair, etc.)
· Extracting birds from mist-nets
· Identify, band, weigh, age, sex, and measure all species captured in mistnets.
· Record data on paper datasheets daily at banding station, transfer data to Microsoft Excel datasheets weekly
· Provide end of season summary report for NJ Audubon publications in timely manner to receive final payment.
Qualifications, Knowledge and Skills:
· Mist-netting and bird banding experience in a high-volume banding station necessary (>5,000 birds/season)
· Experience aging species based on molt, and using Pyle guide required.
· Familiarity with bird migration and strong background identifying passerines, near-passerines, raptors and marsh birds by sight.
· Experience managing volunteers required
· Strong computer skills – (Microsoft Office) to fulfill the job requirements; Proficiency with MS Excel and BANDIT essential
· Strong written and oral communication skills
· Careful data collecting skills a must.
· Punctual with excellent organizational, time and project management skills with the ability to manage multiple projects, shifting priorities and meet deadlines.
· Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills with the ability to relate to and motivate a diverse range of people, exercise cultural inclusion and accept direction and constructive feedback.
· Motivated self-starter with capacity to work productively in a team setting with the ability to demonstrate initiative and a positive attitude.
· Strong professionalism and work ethic with the ability to exercise discretion and maintain confidentiality.
· Willingness to work irregular hours under sometimes difficult field conditions.
· Ability to lift and carry 25 lbs. and walk on uneven terrain.
· All applicants must have access to a vehicle, and a valid, clean driver’s license.
Start Date: August 8 2022 End Date: 11 November 2022
Salary: $15-$16/hour depending on experience. Housing allowance provided.
Application Deadline: June 15, 2022.
Qualified individuals may apply by emailing cover letter of interest, resume, and three references (including name, email and contact information) as a single PDF document (including email and phone contact info) to email@example.com
Please indicate “Bander” in the subject line to insure your application is properly directed.
We are committed to building a diverse team and strongly encourage all qualified professionals to apply. The New Jersey Audubon Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, age, national origin, ethnic background, disability or any other characteristic protected by law