Sagehen Creek Field Station is a research and teaching facility of the University of California at Berkeley. The station is located 12-miles north of Truckee, CA. For more information about Sagehen please visit our website: sagehen.ucnrs.org
We are looking for 1 experienced bander to help conduct IBP MAPS banding operations within the Sagehen Experimental Forest, 8.5-miles north of Truckee, CA.
Sagehen banding in 2019 is a single transect of 10 nets, with moderate bird volume. We provide all banding equipment, but successful candidate should provide their personal field equipment such as binoculars, spotting scopes, smartphone, water bottle, pack, etc.
- Primary duties will include 1) net and banding station set-up 2) extraction of birds from mist nets, 3) bird identification, assessment, aging, 4) data management, 5) clearing net lanes and maintaining equipment, and 6) public interface.
There is also opportunity to do applied bird research at Sagehen, using MAPS and point count monitoring data that began in the 1960’s. This data is integrated into land management, wildfire prescriptions, conservation, volunteer, and education programs. We love applicants who wish to contribute to wildland conservation through applied research as well as research-based education.
- Banders are responsible for their own transportation to and from the station.
- Successful candidates must have experience in catching and handling birds, including extensive experience in mist netting.
- Strong background in western songbird and woodpecker identification, ageing, and sexing (> 1000 preferred).
- Meticulous record keeping.
- Training volunteers, providing public banding demonstrations. Our station hosts many visitors including student groups and members of the public. Applicants must be prepared to occasionally interact with small groups or individuals while conducting banding operations.
- Willing to work outdoors in inclement weather with prompt arrival for work each day.
Not required, but desirable:
- Ability to identify local birds by sound for daily census.
- North American Banding Council certification.
- Federal Banding Permit (to occasionally fill in for the Bander-In-Charge).
- Able to enter and proof data, complete detailed banding report using Bandit Software, Word, and Excel or equivalents
- Current First Aid certification.
Compensation: $25 per hour, possibly more for highly qualified candidate. This position carries no benefits. Free accommodation at the field station can be provided on banding days (rustic shared bunkhouse or your own tent or trailer/RV). The station has shared bathhouses and kitchen, running hot and cold water, washing machines, electricity and internet.
Duration: 2019 Sagehen MAPS banding will require 7 banding sessions of approx. 6.5-hours each. There will be 2-3 sessions per month between early June and early August. This is a repeating annual position that can involve up to 18 banding days per season.
Work Schedule: Net set-up begins at 6:00am. Tear down and clean-up finishes before 1:00pm.
To Apply: Send a resume ASAP with cover letter highlighting banding and extraction experience to firstname.lastname@example.org. The most qualified candidates will have a phone interview. For questions contact Faerthen Felix at the email above.
Edited by ffelix