Eider Husbandry Internship
Internship dates: 08/15/2019 -11/15/2019
Position requirements: 75% of time per week will be spent in this department and 25% of time per week supporting the Interpretation department.
The Eider Husbandry intern will be tasked with the care and husbandry specific to the captive Steller’s eider and Spectacled Eider flocks.. Tasks take place in an area that is located outside and susceptible to the extreme Alaska environmental conditions. Under guidance of Eider Husbandry staff, the intern will be trained and expected to perform the following duties:
• Perform daily animal diet preparations and routine cleaning of animal enclosures, work area and wet lab.
• Make daily observations of the breeding behaviors, health and condition of the research eiders
• Maintain records, and photo database.
• Assist in pool cleanings and water quality testing.
• Assist in enclosure maintenance, including snow removal and lifting up to 50 pounds.