Rate of Pay
Field work will begin between May 10th to 15th and the season will end in early August, exact dates TBD.
RF SUNY at SUNY Brockport is seeking a qualified field technician to assist with a Master’s project investigating the ecology of breeding Eastern Whip-poor-will populations in Northern New York. Duties will include frequent telemetry tracking of adult Whip-poor-wills, nest searching, brood monitoring, assisting with the trapping and transmitter deployment of Whip-poor-wills, insect sample collection, and vegetation surveys.
The technician will work around 40 hours per week. Whip-poor-wills are an enigmatic nocturnal species of bird, so the work schedule will be irregular with long hours in the late afternoon and through the night. Days off may also be irregular. It is essential that the technician is confident in their ability to remain alert and work throughout the middle of the night and sleep late into the day.
Housing will be provided.
· Have or be working towards a B.S. in biology, ecology, wildlife management, or a related field.
· Willingness and ability to effectively work long hours through the night.
· Ability to work a flexible schedule.
· Willingness to live in close quarters with others.
· Ability to maintain a positive attitude under challenging living and working conditions.
· Experience working, camping, or navigating in wilderness conditions.
· A valid driver’s license and clean driving record.
· Experience tracking wildlife through telemetry, but motivated individuals without telemetry experience are encouraged to apply.
· A minimum of one paid season of fieldwork experience.
· Experience handling birds, or a willingness to learn prior to the field season.
· Experience with nest searching and brood monitoring.
· Experience identifying plants.
This position is a Research Foundation for The State University of New York (RFSUNY) position and is subject to RFSUNY policies and procedures, sponsor guidelines, and the availability of funding. All finalists for this position will be subject to suitable pre-employment background investigation and may include confirmation of credentialing. Offers may not be extended until we receive a positive outcome from the pre-employment background investigation.
RFSUNY is a private non-profit educational corporation. The RF is not an agency or instrumentality of the State of New York. RF employees are not state employees, do not participate in any state retirement system, and do not receive state fringe benefits. The RF operates under a contract with The State University of New York and receives no directly appropriated state funding. Applicants will not be reimbursed for any personal travel expenses.
To apply, please send a single PDF of your cover letter, resume or CV, and contact information for 3 professional references to Mx. Asch McDonnell at email@example.com. Applications are rolling.