Western EcoSystems Technology, Inc. (WEST), a dynamic medium-size consulting firm with offices across the United States, is looking for Biological Field Technicians near Deposit, New York.
Since 1990, WEST has grown to be one of the premier environmental and statistical consulting firms in the United States. WEST has a permanent core of professionals with broad experience in basic and applied ecological studies and the sophisticated analysis of natural resource data.
- Compensation: $18-23/ hour, DOE
- Start Date: October 2022
- End Date: December 2022 (potential to continue survey work during February to April 2023 based upon individual performance)
- Schedule: up to 60 hours per week during survey periods
- Additional Details: The schedule is anticipated to consist of 6 days and approximately 60 hours of full-time work per week. Overtime will be provided for hours worked over 40 in a given week. A rental vehicle will be provided by WEST or a suitable candidate can use a personal vehicle and be reimbursed for mileage at the current federal standard rate. Local applicants preferred; however, a housing reimbursement may be available to qualified non-local applicants.
The successful candidates for this position will be able to work independently and communicate and coordinate effectively with WEST supervisors and clients; have previous experience with eagle identification and eagle behavior, be able to identify in-flight eagles, map movements, and take behavioral notes. The position requires working long hours independently in potentially extreme weather such as (but not limited to) heat, cold, rain, wind, and snow.
- Monitor for eagle activity and movements at an operational wind energy facility
- Follow protocols to collect data, map flight paths, describe eagle behaviors, and communicate with other on-site biologists and wind farm operations staff to initiate wind turbine curtailments
- Upload observation forms electronically
This is a general description of the functions for this position and is not inclusive of all the duties that may be associated with this position.
- Bachelor’s Degree in natural resources, wildlife management, wildlife biology or equivalent field preferred; however, undergraduates and enthusiastic workers are encouraged to apply.
- Proficient in identification of in-flight and perched eagles; candidates experienced in raptor/eagle identification and recording behavioral observations will be given preference.
- Skill in judging distances to birds in flight
- Skill in use of topographic maps, GPS units, and other field equipment is required
- Must be able to work independently and interact effectively with project managers, clients, and landowners.
- Must be able to stand and focus for long observation periods from a fixed position.
- Must be equipped with and provide own suitable footwear (boots), binoculars, and proper clothing for extreme weather conditions.
- The job will require the person filling this position to be able to appear for work on time; coordinate closely with co-workers and facility staff, observe for long periods; follow instructions from managers and team leaders; maintain a positive attitude; and accept guidance and constructive criticism.
- Precise and thorough data collection will be essential.
- Technicians will be required to follow all safety protocols for WEST and clients when on site.
WEST is committed to providing a safe and healthy work environment for everyone and highly recommends all prospective hires be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to their start date. While WEST does not currently require vaccinations, please be aware that WEST has a mandatory vaccination policy in place should local, state or federal law require vaccinations. Additionally, WEST has certain clients that require all personnel to be vaccinated prior to working on their projects, so individuals will be required to be fully vaccinated and provide proof of vaccination prior to working on those projects. As an exception, employees may also request a Medical or Religious exemption from the vaccine requirement and the request must be supported by a doctor for a medical exemption or by a statement from the employee outlining a sincerely held belief to qualify for a religious exemption. Please contact us if you have any questions.
After an offer of employment is made, the candidate must successfully pass a pre- employment background check, drug screening, and a DMV records check that meets WEST’s minimum criteria to operate a motor vehicle on behalf of the company. A valid driver’s license will be required.
WEST provides equal employment opportunities to all individuals regardless of their race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, genetics, and any protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Further, WEST takes affirmative action to ensure that all individuals are treated fairly, and without discrimination, for recruitment, selection, advancement and every other term and privilege associated with employment.