Western EcoSystems Technology, Inc. (WEST), a dynamic medium size consulting firm with offices across the United States, is looking for a Biological Field Technicians. Since 1990, WEST has grown to be one of the premier environmental and statistical consulting firms in the United States. WEST has a permanent core of professionals with broad experience in basic and applied ecological studies and the sophisticated analysis of natural resource data.
- Competitive salary
- Comprehensive Medical (if working 30 or more hours a week)
- Sep IRA (100% employer contributions)
Join WEST and you will discover and enjoy:
- Family friendly environment
- Diverse workforce and DE&I efforts
- Great work/life balance
- Flexible and Casual work culture
- Professional growth opportunity
Safe and happy working environment
The successful candidates for this position will be able to work independently as well as in team settings with the ability to communicate and coordinate effectively with a crew of up to 10 technicians. The ideal candidates will have previous supervisory experience and be skilled in identifying regional birds and bats by sight, and have had experience working in extreme weather conditions and navigating rough terrain.
- Search designated plots beneath wind turbines for bat and bird fatalities and collect data to measure sources of bias in fatality estimation; there may be limited opportunities to conduct additional biological surveys
- Lead a crew of up to ten field technicians including training technicians on use of gear and protocol
- Communicate with technicians requiring the consistent use of phone/text and email, including availability when crews are working (early mornings and late evening)
- Schedule searches and bias trials at each facility
- Review datasheets and ensure quality data is being collected
- Assist with bias trials including assisting in the identification of birds or bats; and assisting with fatality monitoring when necessary
- Crew leaders will be responsible for maintaining inventory of equipment, organization and shipment of data, and data summaries as requested
Compensation: $17.00 – 19.00 per hour, DOE
Start date: June 21, 2021
End date: October 16, 2021
Location: Various Counties, Iowa
Housing: Housing or rent reimbursement may be provided to qualifying technicians
Additional details: A vehicle can be provided for work purposes if needed.
This a general description of the functions for this position and is not inclusive of all the duties that may be associated with this position.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Natural Resources, Wildlife Management, Wildlife Biology, or an equivalent degree preferred
- Candidates with previous experience managing field technicians and in-field experience with regional wind projects will be given preference
- Advanced experience with macro-photography, bat and bird identification for species in the region, and guides and keys for identification is required
- Skilled use of computers, GPS units, topographic maps, compass, and other field equipment is required
- Candidates must be organized, and able to collect and manage data, including implementing quality control measures
- Must be able to work independently and interact professionally and respectfully with project managers, biologists, technicians, clients, and landowners
- Job requires the person filling this position to be able to appear for work on time; start times can often start as early as sunrise
- Applicants must be in good physical condition, as surveys will require walking for entire shifts in locations where temperatures and conditions can be extreme
- Technicians must be equipped with and provide own suitable safety toed footwear (steel or composite-toe), binoculars, clothing, water bottles, etc.
After an offer of employment is made, the candidate must successfully pass a pre- employment background check, drug screening, and a DMV records check that meets WEST’s minimum criteria to operate a motor vehicle on behalf of the company. A valid driver’s license will be required.
WEST provides equal employment opportunities to all individuals regardless of their race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, genetics, and any protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Further, WEST takes affirmative action to ensure that all individuals are treated fairly, and without discrimination, for recruitment, selection, advancement and every other term and privilege associated with employment.