The National Loon Center is seeking an undergraduate intern for the summer of 2023. We welcome interested candidates that are currently enrolled or recently graduated (start date must be within two weeks of the graduation date) to apply. The intern will primarily assist with outreach and program support. The intern may also assist with day-to-day operations at the informational center, The Nest. This internship will provide the opportunity to develop communications skills within the environmental field. Candidates will ideally be enrolled in a degree program involving communications, environmental sciences, ecology, biological sciences, or a related field. We will consider applicants from a variety of disciplines, provided that the applicant has a passion for our state bird, the common loon, and preserving its freshwater habitat. Please contact the National Loon Center with any questions and see below for the predicted responsibilities of this position.
- Currently enrolled in an undergraduate program or recently graduated
- Some prior knowledge of loons and lakes
- Passion for wildlife and conservation efforts
- Experience or willingness to learn media communication strategies
- Experience with public speaking and leading presentations
- Effectively able to communicate to both children and adults
- Assist with planning and delivering outreach programs and presentations to schools, lake associations, summer camps, environmental clubs, and other community groups
- Lead on-the-water educational programs aboard the StewardShip that teach the public about common loon biology and freshwater conservation
- Engage and educate visitors to The Nest
- Assist with creating and managing content for social media, online newsletter, website, and blog.
- Engage NLC volunteers in outreach activities and events
- Lead community science efforts including eBird, iNaturalist, and other national partnerships
- Develop educational materials such as brochures, fact sheets, signage, etc.
- Take water clarity measurements and record data at stream sites on the Pine River
- Produce video segments for social media, website, and The Nest
The National Loon Center in Crosslake, Minnesota aims to restore and protect loon breeding habitats, enhance responsible recreation, and serve as a national leader in advancing loon and freshwater research and education. The National Loon Center’s world-class facility, set to open in 2024, will be an interactive and family-friendly educational destination that transforms visitors into champions for loons and freshwater everywhere. To learn more about the National Loon Center, please visit www.nationallooncenter.org.
Compensation and Schedule Details
The summer 2023 internship begins as early as May 15, 2023 and runs until August 25, 2023. Start and end dates are flexible. This is a paid internship with compensation of $14/hour. This is a full-time position at 40 hours per week, Monday through Friday, though there are frequently weekend events and/or programs. A candidate with Saturday availability may be preferred, which will be offset by corresponding time off Monday-Friday.
Ability to Commute or Relocate
Candidates must be able to commute reliably or relocate before beginning employment. This position requires exclusively on-site work. Housing is not provided. A valid driver’s license and vehicle is required. Travel to events and programs will be reimbursed at the federal mileage reimbursement rate.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
The National Loon Center is committed to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion in all forms. We place a high value on inclusion as a defining element of our mission and character. We will foster and maintain a safe workplace for employees and a welcoming environment for all guests.
Please email your cover letter, resume and two professional references as a single PDF document to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: "Community Outreach Intern.”
There are no comments to display.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.