Agency: American Bird Conservancy
Location: Western Edwards Plateau
Duration: May-June (2 months, start date flexible)
Job Type: Temporary
Salary: $2500 per month + housing
Application Deadline: Until Filled
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the positions are filled.
APPLY AT: https://abcbirds.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=89
SEASONAL FIELD TECHNICIANS (2) needed by the Oaks and Prairies Joint Venture for the recently delisted Black-capped Vireo monitoring. Technicians will be collecting data as a part of post-delisting monitoring for this species. Surveys will be performed in the western Edwards Plateau, where many unique species, including the endangered Golden-cheeked Warbler, can be found. NOTE: FILLING OF POSITIONS IS CONTINGENT UPON CONTRACT AWARD.
- Black-capped Vireo nest searching and nest monitoring, early morning point counts, early morning censuses, and data entry.
- Other responsibilities may include (but are not limited to) equipment maintenance, managing databases, proofing entered data, etc.
Candidates will be expected to work long hours with early starts in relatively difficult field conditions (e.g. long hikes, steep and rugged terrain, hot weather, plenty of sun and thorns, etc.).
- Housing will be arranged and may include trailers, camping, and possibly bunkhouses, hotels, and other forms of field housing. As such, candidates should be flexible about housing. Candidates will be expected to adhere to health advisories.
- Preference will be shown for individuals who are willing to drive a personal vehicle to and from field sites.
- Mileage will be reimbursed.
- Personal vehicles should be in good condition and able to handle dirt/gravel roads.
*Note that road conditions may be difficult in some areas depending on weather.
- Experience with identification birds required; especially Texas birds like Black-capped Vireo
- Experience conducting avian point counts
- Experience with estimating distances to detected birds preferred; training will be provided
- Experience searching for nests preferred; training will be provided
- Experience with nest monitoring preferred; training will be provided
- Excellent navigational abilities
- Meticulous data collection skills
- Ability to work independently
- Good inter-personal skills
- Valid driver’s license
- Must be 18 years old or older and a US citizen
- Must be willing to undergo a background check.
Please send electronic copies (PDF) of the following in one document:
1) A letter of interest
3) Names and contact information for three work references.
If you have trouble, please send your cover letter and resume as one document to HR@abcbirds.org