Avian Rehabilitation Summer Interns 2020
The Bird Treatment and Learning Center (BTLC) is seeking interns to assist the staff and volunteer rehabilitators in all aspects of the avian rehabilitation process. Interns will be trained to perform the following tasks (as experience and aptitude allows): sanitation, food preparation, medical treatment, x-ray and medical procedure assistance, baby bird rearing, upkeep of indoor and outdoor mews, and bird release assistance. There may also be other maintenance/major projects as time allows. This is a hands-on internship in a fast paced environment. Ideal applicants will be able to efficiently multi-task while following BTLC protocols.
· Must be 18 years of age.
· Able to work 40 hours each week. Shifts will vary from 6am-2pm or 12-8pm.
· Must have or be working toward a degree or career in Biology, Environmental Science, Wildlife Conservation or equivalent.
· Previous rehabilitation experience a plus, but not a requirement.
· A willingness to learn and a strong interest in wildlife rehabilitation as a career.
· Strong attention to detail.
· Must be hard working, motivated, and not afraid to get your hands dirty, while keeping a positive attitude.
· Must acknowledge, understand, and accept the use of humane euthanasia in a rehabilitative setting.
· Must be comfortable with using dead quails, rodents, and fish as a food source for patients and permanent residents.
Basic housing will be provided for the duration of the internship in a motorhome on Bird TLC property. You be sharing a small space with 2 or 3 other interns. Interns are responsible for transportation which is necessary due to remote location of clinic.
Bird TLC is located in South Anchorage, Alaska.
This is an unpaid, educational internship. Interns may coordinate with their current college or university to earn educational credit for their experience.
Length of Term:
Internships must be a minimum of 3 months but not exceed 6 months. Internships start mid-end of May 2020. Application deadline is March 31st 2020. Start and end dates can be somewhat flexible.
If interested please send cover letter, completed internship application form and two written references to our Avian Rehabilitation Coordinator, Amy Kilshaw- firstname.lastname@example.org