The mission of Hawk Ridge Bird Observatory (HRBO) is to protect birds of prey and other migratory birds in the western Lake Superior region through research, education, and stewardship. Education at HRBO is designed to compliment and fulfill this mission with programs about birds and their environment, while building awareness and appreciation for bird conservation.
HRBO is seeking 1 full-time seasonal naturalist and 1 part-time seasonal naturalist for the fall 2020 season for 9 weeks August 30-October 31. Applications will be accepted until filled (note: early applications are encouraged and preferred by Friday, May 15, 2020).
*Please note that while we are hopeful to fulfill fall seasonal positions as normal, circumstances are subject to change due to COVID-19. Candidates will be made aware of changes, as soon as possible.
- Teaching formal environmental education programs to groups (school, private and the general public)
- Teaching informal interpretive programs via education tables and kid’s cart
- Providing interpretation and answering questions about raptor identification, natural history of birds, and the fall migration at Hawk Ridge Nature Reserve
- Conducting live bird education demonstrations
- Assisting managers with visitor relations, merchandise sales, volunteers, & fundraising activities/events
- Bachelor’s degree required for full-time position (Education or Environmental Education preferred).
- Demonstrated teaching experience (2+ years preferred)
- Knowledge of birds, especially raptors preferred
- Driver’s license and personal vehicle required
- Experience in working and teaching outside in many weather conditions
- Demonstrated animal-handling experience (preferably birds)
Essential Personal Characteristics
- Enthusiastic and passionate about teaching others
- Communicates respectfully and effectively with teachers, students, staff, volunteers, & visitors of all ages
- Flexibility in work hours on weekends and possibly some evenings
- Ability to work independently
Compensation: Hourly pay at $11-12/hour based on experience; lodging provided, if available
To apply, please go to: https://www.hawkridge.org/about-us/employment-internships/