Bird Banding Internship Costa Rica
Location: Costa Rica Bird Observatories (CRBO) at Madre Selva-Cerro de la Muerte, Tortuguero National Park and INBioparque-Santo Domingo de Heredia
Job Description: Costa Rica Bird Observatories is looking for experienced banders and bander assistants who will be rotating among our three bird monitoring stations. The main expectation of the interns is to ensure continuous monitoring of the three sites through banding and processing of migrant and resident land bird species. Interns may be required to support environmental education and community outreach activities when the opportunities arise.
· 6 hours/day and 25 days/month working
· Commitment of at least 2 months, longer time commitment may include visitation to satellite sites (Guanacaste, San Vito, Braulio Carillo)
· Identification and counting of migrant and resident landbird species during monitoring activities.
· Timely data entry every afternoon. Interns are expected to bring their own laptop
· Maintaining records of migrant and resident landbird data for further population parameter analysis
· Represent CRBO and maintain a presence within the local groups as a science-driven organization
Interns can expect to gain:
· Knowledge of the rural dynamics of tropical Latin American communities
· Deeper knowledge of bird monitoring and conservation efforts in the tropics.
· Tropical bird banding experience with a suite of different species, including using the WRP system to age resident birds
Qualifications: Applicants are expected to have an intermediate – advanced level of banding experience. Ideal applicants will have extracted at least 300 adult songbirds from mist-nets and have processed/banded a similar number. NABC certification is not required, but applicants holding it will be given preference. Preferred applicants should also have experience with bird identification, as area searches are part of the daily protocol. Additional desired skills include:
· Able to work both independently and as part of a small team
· Ability to maintain a positive attitude in adverse tropical field conditions including but not limited to hot and humid weather, bugs and bug bites, and physically demanding work
· Adaptable to living in a foreign-multicultural environment
· Some Spanish desired but not necessary
Salary: This is an unpaid internship. Interns are required to pay for their own airfare to/from Costa Rica. However, all in-country expenses will be covered by CRBO. This includes: transportation between sites and food will be provided at all sites. Interns wanting to do activities on their own time are responsible for their own travel and food expenses.
How to apply:
Banding positions are open year-round and we accept applications on a rolling basis.
To apply, please send an email to email@example.com. For the application, please send one pdf document with all of the following: resume including total number of birds banded, 3 references, and a cover letting detailing your banding experience and available dates to work