Western EcoSystems Technology, Inc. (WEST), a dynamic medium size consulting firm with offices across the United States, is looking for a temporary Biological Field Technician. Since 1990, WEST has grown to be one of the premier environmental and statistical consulting firms in the United States. WEST has a permanent core of professionals with broad experience in basic and applied ecological studies and the sophisticated analysis of natural resource data.
Due to stringent client requirements and WEST's commitment to provide a safe and healthy work environment for everyone, all prospective hires will be required to provide documentation that they have been fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to their start date. As an exception, employees may also request a Medical or Religious exemption from the vaccine requirement and the request must be supported by a doctor for a medical exemption or by a statement from the employee outlining a sincerely held belief to qualify for a religious exemption.
- Competitive salary
- Comprehensive Medical (if working 30 or more hours a week)
- Sep IRA (100% employer contributions)
Join WEST and you will discover and enjoy:
- Family friendly environment
- Diverse workforce and DE&I efforts
- Great work/life balance
- Flexible and Casual work culture
- Professional growth opportunity
Safe and happy working environment
Primary duties involve:
- conduct surveys for marbled murrelets and station setup
- Fieldwork will require early mornings with hiking in the dark on/off trail in steep terrain.
- Candidate must be comfortable with hazards typical of the environment (sharp vegetation, steep/forested terrain, and driving a four-wheel drive vehicle on small logging roads.
- Job duties require use of compass, basic mapping reading skills, and Global Positioning System devices.
- Training will be provided.
- An average workweek may include 30 - 40 hours, though may require shorter or longer hours some weeks, depending on the project and seasonal workload.
Compensation: $16‒18/hr. commensurate with experience
Start date: April 2022
End date: August 2022
Location: Corvallis or Newport, Oregon
Housing: Housing will not be provided but stipend will be provided if not in or near Corvallis or Newport
Additional details: Vehicle will be provided or mileage reimbursed. GPS units, SPOT and other field equipment will be provided by WEST; however, field technicians must be equipped with suitable footwear (rugged hiking boots) and rain gear.
This is a general description of the functions for this position and is not inclusive of the duties which may be associated with this position.
- Bachelor’s degree in natural resources, wildlife management, wildlife biology or equivalent degree preferred.
- Highly proficient in identification of the Pacific Northwest bird species by sight and sound and able to work independently and interact positively with project manager, field supervisor, and other coworkers.
- Candidates experienced with marbled murrelet experience will be given preference.
- Applicants must have normal vision and hearing, a hearing test will be required per the protocol and will be given prior to the start of the surveys.
- Technician must take and pass marbled murrelet field survey training. Employee must be able to appear for work on time (surveys often begin as early as sunrise) ; Maintain focus for long periods of time; Follow instructions from manager and team leader; Maintain positive attitude;
- And accept guidance and constructive criticism. Precise and thorough data collection is essential.
- Applicants must be in good physical condition, as surveys will require walking /hiking in the dark on/off trail, and surveys will be conducted in locations where temperatures and conditions can be extreme. Surveyors may encounter insects, and other wildlife.
After an offer of employment is made, the candidate must successfully pass a pre-employment background check, drug screening, and a DMV records check that meets WEST’s minimum criteria to operate a motor vehicle on behalf of the company. A valid driver’s license will be required. Candidates must adhere to all health and safety requirements.
WEST provides equal employment opportunities to all individuals regardless of their race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, genetics, and any protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Further, WEST takes affirmative action to ensure that all individuals are treated fairly, and without discrimination, for recruitment, selection, advancement and every other term and privilege associated with employment.