Western EcoSystems Technology, Inc. (WEST), a dynamic medium size consulting firm with offices across the United States, is looking for a temporary part time, Biological Field Technician. Since 1990, WEST has grown to be one of the premier environmental and statistical consulting firms in the United States. WEST has a permanent core of professionals with broad experience in basic and applied ecological studies and the sophisticated analysis of natural resource data.
Due to stringent client requirements and WEST's commitment to provide a safe and healthy work environment for everyone, all prospective hires will be required to provide documentation that they have been fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to their start date. As an exception, employees may also request a Medical or Religious exemption from the vaccine requirement and the request must be supported by a doctor for a medical exemption or by a statement from the employee outlining a sincerely held belief to qualify for a religious exemption.
- Competitive salary
- Comprehensive Medical (if working 30 or more hours a week)
- Sep IRA (100% employer contributions)
Join WEST and you will discover and enjoy:
- Family friendly environment
- Diverse workforce and DE&I efforts
- Great work/life balance
- Flexible and Casual work culture
- Professional growth opportunity
- Safe and happy working environment
Primary duties involve:
- Studies designed to assess trends in lesser prairie-chickens in Kansas, Colorado, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas
- Study that has continued since 2012 and has helped state and federal agency look at the entire range of lesser prairie-chicken by sampling random blocks with the prairie—chicken range
- Crew of four assisting with aerial flights to locate lesser prairie-chicken leks, and ground truthing of lesser prairie-chicken leks.
- Hours of sitting in a helicopter scanning the landscape for birds; willingness to work closely with a crew; ability to follow standardized protocols; ability to record data in a neat and organized manner
- Seven days of the week for the duration of the Project
- Training is provided
Compensation: $15‒17/hr. commensurate with experience
Start date: March 15 2022
End date: April 30, 2022
Location: Kansas, Eastern Colorado, Eastern New Mexico, Western Texas and the panhandle of Oklahoma
Housing: Hotel and per diem will be provided
Additional details: Transportation to the start and end of the project will be provided. Vehicle will be provided. These positions move around on a daily or almost daily basis.
This is a general description of the functions for this position and is not inclusive of the duties which may be associated with this position.
- Bachelor’s degree in natural resources, wildlife management, wildlife biology or equivalent degree preferred.
- Candidate that has worked with prairie-chickens and able to work in close quarters with crew, crew lead and project manager, field supervisor, and other coworkers.
- Candidates experienced in flying in small utility helicopters or small fixed wing planes.
- Employee must be able to appear for work on time (surveys start before sunrise) ; Maintain focus for long periods of time; Follow instructions from manager and team leader; Maintain positive attitude; And accept guidance and constructive criticism. Precise and thorough data collection is essential.
After an offer of employment is made, the candidate must successfully pass a pre-employment background check, drug screening, and a DMV records check that meets WEST’s minimum criteria to operate a motor vehicle on behalf of the company. A valid driver’s license will be required. Candidates must adhere to all health and safety requirements.
WEST provides equal employment opportunities to all individuals regardless of their race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, genetics, and any protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Further, WEST takes affirmative action to ensure that all individuals are treated fairly, and without discrimination, for recruitment, selection, advancement and every other term and privilege associated with employment.