Western EcoSystems Technology, Inc. (WEST), a dynamic medium size consulting firm with offices across the United States, is looking for a part-time Biological Field Technician/Bias Trials Administrator near Livermore, CA. Since 1990, WEST has grown to be one of the premier environmental and statistical consulting firms in the United States. WEST has a permanent core of professionals with broad experience in basic and applied ecological studies and the sophisticated analysis of natural resource data.
Do you enjoy the challenges of fieldwork and participating in important wildlife monitoring and research? This is an exciting opportunity to join WEST’s California-based team of biological field technicians as a Bias Trial Administrator responsible for activities that will provide data needed to accurately measure sources of bias in fatality estimations for post-construction monitoring projects across multiple sites.
- Compensation: $20-23/hour, DOE
- Start Date: November 2022
- End Date: October 2024
- Location: Livermore, CA (travel between sites in Alameda and Contra Costa Counties)
- Workload: Between 20-30 hours per week depending on project; may require overtime
- Additional Details: Mileage reimbursement at the federal rate will be provided for personal vehicle use. GPS unit, compass, tablet and range finder will be provided by WEST, however, technician must provide their own safety toed boots (rugged hiking boots) and appropriate field clothing. Required safety equipment will be provided
- Schedule, conduct, and track carcass persistence and searcher efficiency trials in accordance with established protocols at multiple wind energy facilities
- Identify, collect, and process dead birds and bats (handling of physical carcasses required)
- Accurately record, review, and maintain paper and digital datasheets or forms, data summaries, schedules, and upload all data in a timely manner, or as requested
- Organize and inventory equipment, trial carcasses, collected fatalities, as well as specimen freezers
- Participate in weekly team meetings as well as initial and periodic training
- Assist with fatality monitoring surveys, as needed
- Work independently as well as in team settings and communicate and coordinate effectively with management staff and a crew of 4-5 technicians
- Availability to work a flexible schedule that could vary in hours each week, depending on the season and project needs
- Follow WEST and facility health and safety protocols
- Training will be provided for all job related activities
- There may be opportunities to conduct additional biological surveys, depending on the candidate’s experience
This is a general description of the functions for this position and is not inclusive of all the duties which may be associated with this position.
- A Bachelor’s degree in natural resources, wildlife management, wildlife biology or equivalent; a combination of previous experience and education will also be considered
- Must be comfortable with hazards typical of the environment (uneven and steeply graded terrain, sharp vegetation, rattlesnakes and other wildlife, extreme heat and cold, high wind speeds).
- Skilled use of topographic maps, compass, GPS unit, binoculars, range finder, and digital camera or tablet.
- Experience with and ability to operate a 4x4 vehicle
- Ability to work independently and interact professionally and respectfully with project managers, biologists, technicians, clients, and landowners.
- Highly developed ability to stay focused and pay attention to detail; Precise and thorough data collection is essential.
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- A high degree of self-motivation, a tolerance for doing repetitive tasks, and an ability to thrive under challenging field conditions
- The availability to work a flexible schedule that may vary in hours each week, depending on the season and project needs.
- Applicants must be in good physical condition, as surveys will be conducted in remote locations where temperatures and conditions can be extreme.
Due to stringent client requirements and WEST's commitment to provide a safe and healthy work environment for everyone, all prospective hires will be required to provide documentation that they have been fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to their start date. As an exception, employees may also request a Medical or Religious exemption from the vaccine requirement and the request must be supported by a doctor for a medical exemption or by a statement from the employee outlining a sincerely held belief to qualify for a religious exemption. Please contact us if you have any questions related to the requirement and/or exemptions.
After an offer of employment is made, the candidate must successfully pass a pre- employment background check, drug screening, and a DMV records check that meets WEST’s minimum criteria to operate a motor vehicle on behalf of the company. A valid driver’s license will be required.
WEST provides equal employment opportunities to all individuals regardless of their race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, genetics, and any protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Further, WEST takes affirmative action to ensure that all individuals are treated fairly, and without discrimination, for recruitment, selection, advancement and every other term and privilege associated with employment.