Western EcoSystems Technology, Inc. (WEST), a dynamic medium sized consulting firm with offices across the United States, is looking for a temporary full time, Biological Field Technician. Since 1990, WEST has grown to be one of the premier environmental and statistical consulting firms in the United States. WEST has a permanent core of professionals with broad experience in basic and applied ecological studies and the sophisticated analysis of natural resource data.
- Compensation: $18-22/hr DOE
- Start date: August 15, 2022
- End date: November 30, 2022 with the possibility of an extension
- Location: Southwest Wyoming
- Housing: May be provided.
- Additional details: Project is located in remote southwest Wyoming within one hour of the towns of Rock Springs and Green River. The area provides numerous recreational opportunities within and around the Flaming Gorge National Recreation Area. Work schedule will be variable and highly flexible, and expected to average at least 30 hours per week. Overtime may be required to complete surveys, particularly if weather delays occur.
This position offers extensive opportunities for growth and development within WEST, including field-based opportunities across the US and the ability to develop your own career pathway toward a permanent position at WEST.
Primary responsibility of this position is:
- Conducting day-long surveys for migrating raptors for a proposed wind energy facility through fall migration season (mid-August –November), with potential for year-round survey work.
- Assisting with other surveys as needed including small and large bird use surveys and targeted surveys for wildlife species of concern
The successful candidate for this position will have the following qualifications:
- An accomplished birder with demonstrated experience identifying western bird species by sight and sound, with exceptionally strong eagle and raptor identification skills.
- Prior experience conducting point counts or other avian survey work is highly preferred.
- Prior experience working independently in remote, rugged terrain in mud and snow conditions.
- Strong written and oral communication skills and the ability to complete datasheets accurately and submit data timely and regularly.
- A demonstrated record of safety and good decision-making skills working in the field.
- Experience with ATV/UTV and trailering is a plus
This is a general description of the functions for this position and is not inclusive of all the duties associated with this position.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Natural Resources, Wildlife Management, Wildlife Biology, or an equivalent degree preferred, enthusiastic applicants with relevant field experience also considered
- Must follow all WEST safety protocols and conduct field work with safety as top priority
- Ability to use, care for and maintain field equipment including work vehicle
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team, and interact positively with project manager, field supervisor, landowners, and other technicians
- Ability to adhere to survey schedules, with some surveys beginning before sunrise
- Ability to stay focused for long periods of time
- Ability to provide your own high quality binoculars for surveys
- Flexibility to work variable days and times including some weekend work, and the ability to maintain a positive attitude in challenging conditions
- Applicants must be in good physical condition, able stand or walk for up to 12 hours per day and carry up to 30 lbs. over uneven terrain
- Surveys will be conducted in locations where temperatures and environmental conditions can be extreme
Due to stringent client requirements and WEST's commitment to provide a safe and healthy work environment for everyone, all prospective hires will be required to provide documentation that they have been fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to their start date. As an exception, employees may also request a Medical or Religious exemption from the vaccine requirement and the request must be supported by a doctor for a medical exemption or by a statement from the employee outlining a sincerely held belief to qualify for a religious exemption. Please contact us if you have any questions related to the requirement and/or exemptions.
After an offer of employment is made, the candidate must successfully pass a pre-employment background check, drug screening, and a DMV records check that meets WEST’s minimum criteria to operate a motor vehicle on behalf of the company. A valid driver’s license will be required. Candidates must adhere to all health and safety requirements.
WEST provides equal employment opportunities to all individuals regardless of their race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, genetics, and any protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Further, WEST takes affirmative action to ensure that all individuals are treated fairly, and without discrimination, for recruitment, selection, advancement and every other term and privilege associated with employment.