Western EcoSystems Technology, Inc. (WEST) is a dynamic medium size consulting firm with offices across the United States and Canada. Since 1990, WEST has grown to be one of the premier environmental and statistical consulting firms in the United States. WEST has a permanent core of professionals with broad experience in basic and applied ecological studies and the sophisticated analysis of natural resource data. WEST is looking for three biological field technicians in Northwest Missouri.
- Project Length: September 1, 2022 – October 15, 2022
- Schedule: 40 hours per week
- Compensation: $17-20 per hour, DOE
- Location: Nodaway County, Missouri
The primary responsibly of this position is to conduct standardized bird and bat carcasses searches beneath wind turbines. Successful candidates must be able to work in a long days in a rural field setting, work well both independently and with others, and follow field and data entry protocols. Previous experience conducting carcass searches is preferred. Training will be provided. An average work week will be approximately 40 hours. Travel around site will be required; personal vehicle (4-wheel or all-wheel drive) use will be reimbursed for mileage or rental vehicle will be provided with fuel reimbursement.
- Standardized fatality searches
- Standardized protocols to measure sources of bias in fatality surveys
- Potential opportunities to conduct additional biological surveys
This is a general description of the functions for this position and is not inclusive of all the duties which may be associated with this position.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Natural Resources, Wildlife Management, Wildlife Biology, or an equivalent degree preferred; Undergraduates or other enthusiastic workers are still encouraged to apply
- Candidates with field experience at regional wind projects will be given preference
- Experience with bat and bird identification of Midwestern species or ability to identify species using guides/keys is preferred
- Skilled use of computers, GPS units, topographic maps, compass, and other field equipment is required
- Candidates must be organized, and able to collect and manage data, including implementing quality control measures
- Must be able to work independently and interact professionally and respectfully with project managers, biologists, technicians, clients, and landowners
- Must be able to appear for work on time; start times will often be as early as sunrise and run until sunset
- Applicants must be in good physical condition; surveys will require walking for entire shifts in locations where temperatures and conditions can be extreme
- Technicians must be equipped with and provide own suitable safety toed footwear (steel or composite-toe), clothing suitable for outdoor work in all elements, and binoculars (at least 8x42)
WEST is committed to providing a safe and healthy work environment for everyone and highly recommends all prospective hires be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to their start date. While WEST does not currently require vaccinations, please be aware that WEST has a mandatory vaccination policy in place should local, state or federal law require vaccinations. Additionally, WEST has certain clients that require all personnel to be vaccinated prior to working on their projects, so individuals will be required to be fully vaccinated and provide proof of vaccination prior to working on those projects. As an exception, employees may also request a Medical or Religious exemption from the vaccine requirement and the request must be supported by a doctor for a medical exemption or by a statement from the employee outlining a sincerely held belief to qualify for a religious exemption. Please contact us if you have any questions.
After an offer of employment is made, the candidate must successfully pass a pre-employment background check, drug screening, and a DMV records check that meets WEST’s minimum criteria to operate a motor vehicle on behalf of the company. A valid driver’s license will be required. Candidates must adhere to all health and safety requirements.
WEST provides equal employment opportunities to all individuals regardless of their race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, genetics, and any protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Further, WEST takes affirmative action to ensure that all individuals are treated fairly, and without discrimination, for recruitment, selection, advancement and every other term and privilege associated with employment.
There are no comments to display.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.